Some questions re lenses

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, this is my first post. I just had a few questions.

I'm a HS photo student. I just bought a Canon EOS 650 (I know I know, old. But it was in mint condition and cheap!) with a Promaster 80-210mm lens. I'm trying to get my hands on a Canon DSLR, but thats another story.

It's great and everything, but I would like to know why the aperture only goes between 4.5 and 5.6. I can't really take a lot of pictures I would like to, such as anything at night without a tripod.

Are there any telephoto lenses out there that have a wider aperture range and fit the EOS/EF cameras (and that don't cost $621293482 ;))?

I'll probably have a million more questions i can't think of now, so I'll post em as I get them.

Thanks!

On many telephoto lenses, you will notice that the maximum aperture is not constant through out the focal range as in the case of your lens. It comes down to cheaper build quality and you get what you pay for. There are some affordable options out there. I have a sigma 70-200mm that has a max aperture of f/2.8 which is constant through out the entire focal range. It is a bit soft in terms of focus towards the end, but it's still 2.8. 2.8 is about as "fast" a lens as you will likely find in the affordable category. This lens retails for about $850 new from B&H. I found mine on ebay from "CametaAuctions" who is one of the more reputable dealers on ebay. I got it new for $599 for a pentax mount. I think they are now selling for $699.
The larger the aperture, generally the heavier the lens and the more complicated to build thus demanding a higher price.

Also, when a lens is described as 1:2.4, for example; does that mean that the aperture is FIXED at 2.4? Or is that the widest it can do?

Thanks

constant max, at 2.4, else it would probably say 1:2.4-5.6 or something. (ie it's the widest it can do at all focal lengths)

basically the wider the aperature, the more expensive and heavy the thing will be. if it's a fixed max aperature again, heavier and more pricey.

(the best a zoom can do is f/2.8 I believe)

The apertures listed are the MAXIMUM apertures available to your lens. This is reall a way to rate the quality of your lens i.e. faster aperture larger, sharper, better optics also higher price. All lenses will do the full range of aperture yours being 4.5--probably 22 or 16. The other issue of variability has already been explained sort of but the reason for it is as you zoom your lens out it takes larger glass to get a wider aperture hence a fixed 2.8 lens being more expensive to be 2.8 across the whole range. I hope this helps some I know I was not totally clear on the second point but that is the gist of it.

If you're willing to work within their FL limit, you should be able to pick up some of the older [Old is OK. I know. I am.] 135mm primes with about f 2.8 max apertures. They certainly won't bust the budget. And some of these old geezers are sharp.

It's great and everything, but I would like to know why the aperture only goes between 4.5 and 5.6. I can't really take a lot of pictures I would like to, such as anything at night without a tripod.

The apperture should be able to stop down to f22 on that lens. The maximum (biggest) apertures depend on the focal length. At wider F/L you'll get f4.5 and as you turn the zoom ring you'll see the maximum aperture switch to f5.6.

These are considered slow apertures. With a zoom lens, the largest (fastest) aperture availavble currently in the Canon line up is an f2.8 lens. These and larger apertures are considered fast lenses.

No matter the lens you are likely to need a tripod shooting at night. Even with Image Stabalisation you are likely to need a tripod at night due to the slow shutter speeds! It's all down to the light available.

You could buy a prime lens (fixed focal length lens) which are generally cheaper and faster than zooms. Look at the 50mm f1.8 which is 2 & 2/3rds stops faster than the f4.5 max aperture of your zoom offering shutter speeds 6x faster than your zoom at max aperture.

Life is hard sometimes! :wink:

Here are a couple links with info about your camera. Reading about film bodies doesn't excite me like it used to. <sigh> Anyway, there is a link to a list of lenses which gives a good idea of whats available from Canon. If you do a price check on those faster telephotos, they get a bit higher in price. If you have two good kidneys, there is always the third world market option, but I would wait until I had a nice digital camera (and maybe a real job) before I invested in a good lense. Your best bet is a decent used lense, of course, and I'm sure you already figured that out.

Well, I hope you get the gear you want. Be good and maybe Santa will bring you $12,000 in camera equipment <crosses fingers>. But that's only if you celebrate Christmas, of course, but they tell me dradles are alot of fun! Just be patient, I guess. You are already moving in the right direction by joining online forums and asking questions. Good for you. I hope everything works out.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/650/index.htm
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EF-lenses/index.htm

As a beginning photography student, you should buy a standard lens, a 50mm f/1.8. They are less than $75 new, and provide great optics for the price. The 1.8 max aperture will allow you to take photos in low light handheld. Also, your choice of film speed can influence what you can do in low light.

Thanks guys. I'll probably kill two birds with one stone and save up for a used Canon EF 50mm f2.5 macro (see my other thread in this forum).

Sound like a plan?

Gawd... I hate being addicted to hobbies like this. I'm also into motorcycles, boats, and guns. Why cant I have cheap hobbies??? :confused::mrgreen:

Just an aside on this one.
Don't forget, that you have a Canon EOS. As you say it may not be the newest top of the range BUT. The camera is just a box that keeps the light off the film until you are ready to let a little in.... As such it is every bit as good now as it was when brand new... AND you have full access to all the Canon EF range of lenses Not to mention the Sigma EX etc etc etc..... Also you have access to something that no DSLR user has... FUJI VELVIA... So what ever you want , whatever your budget..... the answer IS out there......

^^ WHAT!? There's a whole line of compatible lenses that I didn't even know about!? Please explain!

^^ WHAT!? There's a whole line of compatible lenses that I didn't even know about!? Please explain!
What didn't you know about? Your camera is part of the EOS system...which is compatible with any of the Canon EF lenses. Other companies also make compatible lenses...Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc. They will be listed as having a 'Canon EF' or 'Canon AF (autofocus)' mount. There is a good selection. The good news is that if you one day decide that you can afford to get a DSLR...all the lenses will be compatible because all Canon DLSR cameras are in the EOS system.

I have an old EOS 650...the thing is a tank, I love it.

I hate to change the subject but what does EOS mean? Or does it stand for nothing?

I've heard different things...
Electro Optical System
Electronic Operating System

EOS is also the Greek God of the Dawn, or of Light...something like that.

Most reactions

Back