IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Full gallery: http://tracymilburn.com/public/img/photographs/sports/martialArts/tournaments/star/200412

A couple of them are really nice. IMO they're not super duper. Not much else to say. The colour is fine. They're not too blurry (good job)...the lighting is fine for the situation (another good job. I'm sure mine would be all yellow if I shot it)..I take it there was a large window and light above? It looks like two light temperatures to me (no biggie, I'm just guessing and testing what I learnt in college :))

I wish there were less people. I was tought that the photographer has to move not the subject in order to not get things in the background that are distracting but it's hard to run around all the damn time for this type of stuff.

I like maybe the first one but forsure the fifth. It looks like it should go in a newspaper article. :)

Again, my opinion. :)

photong said:
A couple of them are really nice.

Thanks for the comments... I imagine most people have a hard time commenting, not realizing what's going on inthe picture. I understand that when asking for critique. I'm mainly looking for things like "pop", color, composition, sharpness etc.

photong said:
A couple of them are really nice. IMO they're not super duper. Not much else to say. The colour is fine. They're not too blurry (good job)...

Actually even at 8mpx blown up at home, the ones posted here seemed razor sharp...

photong said:
I take it there was a large window and light above? It looks like two light temperatures to me (no biggie, I'm just guessing and testing what I learnt in college :))

One of the walls was glass, and it was bouncing off a huge mirror on one of the walls; I had to struggle with sunlight coming in and underexposing. I couldn't move around hardly at all because I had to be on the side where the hands were raised, and I was covering two mats;there were two matches going at all times. So I was kinda stuck, had to just try and shoot away from the sun. It was obvious that the photos on the right sid eof the room were approximately 3x as good as the ones from the left.

photong said:
I wish there were less people.

That comes with the territory of a tournament like this; your background is going to be a bunch of people. It was a tight room. Every critique has mentioned that, and there's nothing I could do except try and crop them at a clean point.

photong said:
I like maybe the first one but forsure the fifth. It looks like it should go in a newspaper article. :)

Thanks! It's interesting you like that one, the guy that's getting choked actually went unconcious and they had to revive him. That also happened to a girl. It usually happens at least a couple of times at tournaments by people who are new and don't know yet when to quit.

I personally like 1, 3, 6 and 7 the best. 3 is one of my favorites because if you look carefully the guy is completely off the ground (there's about 5" of air between his knee and the ground).

Thanks

WSP said:
How did this guy not get his leg broken??

From that takedown, it's possible that he could have popped his knee out by getting the other guy's leg "wedge" in between his. There's actually a series of moves that do that on purpose. But takedowns are usually pretty "lose." I've never known anyone to "break" their leg, but certainly knee injuries happen sometimes. No different than fooseball, except it's actually far, far safer.

WSP said:
Caption: "Gimme piggy-back ride!!" :LOL:

Lol, true. The guy standing is from our class, he's a really nice guy. I don't know the other guy very well, except I've seen him compete many times and he is very, very good. I've sparred the guy standing in class a few times. He's also into judo a lot. The guy in the yellow shirt behind them just fought and won a UFC fight on PPV. He's a bad dude.

Bokeh said:
WSP said:
How did this guy not get his leg broken??

From that takedown, it's possible that he could have popped his knee out by getting the other guy's leg "wedge" in between his. There's actually a series of moves that do that on purpose. But takedowns are usually pretty "lose." I've never known anyone to "break" their leg, but certainly knee injuries happen sometimes. No different than fooseball, except it's actually far, far safer.

Yup, I've just seen way too many football tackles that end up with blown ACLs or LCLs from that kind of leg position, and way too many hockey hits that torqued the ankle around like that. :shudder: Makes me remember my most recent ankle blowout. :shudder again:

WSP said:
Yup, I've just seen way too many football tackles that end up with blown ACLs or LCLs from that kind of leg position, and way too many hockey hits that torqued the ankle around like that. :shudder: Makes me remember my most recent ankle blowout. :shudder again:

WSP, you are so right on; foot and ankle injuries are the WORST! I was sparring with a guy a few years ago that put a move on me that put me out of training for a whole year. Those little ligaments and tendons in the foot take a looooong time to heal (not much blood in that area for healing)

Bokeh said:
WSP said:

WSP, you are so right on; foot and ankle injuries are the WORST! I was sparring with a guy a few years ago that put a move on me that put me out of training for a whole year. Those little ligaments and tendons in the foot take a looooong time to heal (not much blood in that area for healing)

Here's the result of my most recent ankle injury:

ankle3.jpg

I played collegiate vollyeball, so my ankles are mush to begin with. This one was from soccer though.

WSP said:
Here's the result of my most recent ankle injury:

OMG!!!! Dude, that's HORRIBLE! Did see a doctor? Based on my knowledge, it appears you've broken a two or two.

Here are a few of my buddy Mike's leg from a takedown injury:

hleg.jpg

leg1.jpg

leg3.jpg

leg4.jpg

Nice! Which ligament(s) were those?

Mine was just a severe sprain. Pretty much fubar'ed all the ligaments in my ankle. The bruise just spread up and down my foot and leg for awhile. Was weird! It's mostly better now--I'm back playing anyway. It's still kind of lumpy though.

Bokeh -

I see some blurred edges in a few of your shots.
For example:
IMG_0502.jpg

It looks like you could have bumped up the shutter speed just a bit for some of the photos.

Overall though I think you were dead on for exposure as the lighting looks very good.[/img]

mcbphoto said:
Bokeh -

I see some blurred edges in a few of your shots.
For example:
IMG_0502.jpg

It looks like you could have bumped up the shutter speed just a bit for some of the photos.

Overall though I think you were dead on for exposure as the lighting looks very good.[/img]

There is blurr in that one yes... most of them are very sharp though. I put that one in because it was such a good "catch" though.

I tried bumping up the shutter speed but then the DOF was even more narrow than it was already, which was borderline. Next time I think I'll bump the ISO to get more shutter and try and shoot at around 2.2 instead of 1.8/2.0 I think the DOF was a bit too narrow. I had heard the 20d was gerat for ISO but was still apprehensive. Those were mostly at 400. next time I'll make it 800 with a faster shutter. I'm still getting used to this camera and experimenting.

Thanks for the comments.

Most reactions

Back