Some simple portraits

Splouff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

Here are some photos I took just before sunset. The light in the indoor shots was not the best but I got away with it thanks to my 50mm 1.4!!

Comments and critics welcome!
Thanks for looking!!!!

Delphine

olivia-tri.jpg

-6879.jpg

olivia_sophie-6262-modifier.jpg

I really like them! What settings did you use?

Thanks Carlos.

I used 400 ISO.
50mm 1.4 lense between 1.4 and and 2.2.

Shutter speed between 1/250 and 1/2000 for the first outside one.

These are reaaallly nice! You should be very pleased! I nearly ran out and bought a 50mm f1.8 but pulled myself up ... I should really be able to get something half decent with a 60mm f2.8!!!

The eyes are really sharp in these pics but the skin is nice and soft. Did you use Portrait mode on your camera or a soft focus filter?

That closeup is stunning.

These are quite nice - nice composition and focus - although I think all of them are a tiny but over-exposed to the point that skin tones are lost.

In both of the close-ups the DOF is so shallow that important elements such as the hair are visibly OOF. This is not so obvious in this small size but would b much more noticeable in any print.

I would make three procedural suggestions:
1) number your pictures so that viewers can refer to them by number,
2) read the guidelines for this section about numbers of images posted and,
3) post the exif so viewers don't have to ask.

I also find all of them over-exposed to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the individual shot and I also agree that it is too difficult to try to extensively critique more than one shot at a time.

skieur

Really nice pics. I got a 50mm 1.4 and for some reason, my pics are nothing like this:(

These are reaaallly nice! You should be very pleased! I nearly ran out and bought a 50mm f1.8 but pulled myself up ... I should really be able to get something half decent with a 60mm f2.8!!!

The eyes are really sharp in these pics but the skin is nice and soft. Did you use Portrait mode on your camera or a soft focus filter?

No, I used Aperture priority and no filter at all. Kids have great skins, that's why I love to photograph them!

In both of the close-ups the DOF is so shallow that important elements such as the hair are visibly OOF. This is not so obvious in this small size but would b much more noticeable in any print.
Thanks for the comments.
I know the DOF is very shallow and it's on purpose, I like this kind of portraiture, where the eyes are in focus and not the rest.

Regarding the exposure, I guess it's a matter of preferences.
Will read guidelines :)

Didn't know posting more than 1 was no good :(

Thanks all for looking :)

Most reactions

Back