Some software questions?

I quite like the Bridge, ACR, Photoshop combo, but I learned to use it through Scott Kelby's book which was more based around using them as a workflow set. I downloaded Lightroom today just to see what it provided that CS4 didn't, and I don't know what I think of it yet. What is are the biggest features you guys think it has that make it better than CS4?

Removed my comment... decided it is too harsh

in short:
your not ready for weddings yet.
you cannot learn photoshop in 30days
you will not make thousands withing 1 month
you will need a new lens, you cannot (well you can but not recommended) stick with the stock lens... especially if you hope to turn professional

looking at your "amature images" they are nothing in comparison as to what a wedding photographer would be expected to do, you really need to learn better before concidering this route

to say you will make thousands in less than a month and you will learn photoshop in such a short time is selfish and idiotic, people spend years to learn to use photoshop, it took me personally about 2 months to get to grips with photoshop and about an extra year to learn to use it decently and even at that, i still have a long way to go and i have used photoshop for 3 years

try watching this guys videos, some good tips, as he says, its not what he uses it on, its the technique he uses (dont use it to do what he does, change it to fit what you are doing basically)
Revision3 > Shows > PixelPerfect - Bert monroy, amazing photoshop artist
i reccomend watching all the videos also look at his painting he made on it http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/images/Damen.jpg (that isn't a photograph it is purly photoshop!

Last edited:
Good news everyone I just booked my first wedding.... Not to worry I know exactly what to do. I figure if I leave all of the settings on "AUTO" I should be just fine. LOL!

Thanks to shared the positive comments I appreciate the input.

Im going to pass on the f2.8 lenses. "FOR NOW" Im starting off with lower budget backyard weddings, probably gonna do some couple portraits and shoot a few babys a long the way. When I get a little more serious, Ill upgrade to the nicer lenses.

UGH! If you are going to do it... do it and don't say so here. :thumbdown:

My opinion about wedding photography (back yard or any other, for that matter), is to get very serious about it BEFORE making the bride and groom suffer for your "attempts to learn how" with substandard equipment and skills.

Do it once and do it right... or don't bother doing it at all.

Im going to pass on the f2.8 lenses. "FOR NOW" Im starting off with lower budget backyard weddings, probably gonna do some couple portraits and shoot a few babys a long the way. When I get a little more serious, Ill upgrade to the nicer lenses.

UGH! If you are going to do it... do it and don't say so here. :thumbdown:

My opinion about wedding photography (back yard or any other, for that matter), is to get very serious about it BEFORE making the bride and groom suffer for your "attempts to learn how" with substandard equipment and skills.

Do it once and do it right... or don't bother doing it at all.

U sir are correct, any job worth doing is a job worth doing right, and rather then shooting the sh!t on line about shooting sh!t, its time for to sign off here and go shoot some sh!t in the real word. C-ya.

Check out Costco online. I purchased Elements 7 for about $70, I think. Amazon usually runs it on sale too.

A. What software do you think is the best? Photoshop/ Lightroom
B. What Software is most commonly used? Photoshop/ Lightroom
C. What software do you currenty use? Photoshop/ Lightroom

If you are trying to fit this into your budget that you had in the Equipment thread, add another $1000 to your budget

Im going to pass on the f2.8 lenses. "FOR NOW" Im starting off with lower budget backyard weddings, probably gonna do some couple portraits and shoot a few babys a long the way. When I get a little more serious, Ill upgrade to the nicer lenses. That free'ed up some money.

Usually software companys offer 30 day trials. So I figure Ill either make so much money in the first 30 days that Ill be able to afford any type of software or after the first 30 days Ill be so damn good I wont need software!!!

Chickawwww! :lmao:

(first bold) :gun: (I was going to use a "OMG HOW DARE HE" kinda smiley...but I didnt find one....sorry for my wierd sense of humor....)

(second bold) These genious companys dont realize offering free trials...9999/10000 times will let you re-download the 30 day trial as many times as you like as long as you dont have it on your coputor. (Go to add/remove programs (if you have windows) and remove the program))

Check out Costco online. I purchased Elements 7 for about $70, I think. Amazon usually runs it on sale too.

What did you think of it? I'm considering buying it as I'm only using CS2 now - I've used CS3 only a little bit and I'm horribly finding out the limitations of using outdated software :grumpy:

-CS4 price is $700
-Lightroom is priced at $300
-Elements $70-100?

I have a decent knowledge of photo and shooting, but am a beginner at Digital Editting. Though, I don't want a program that will hold me back as I'm going to be using this quite extensively over the next year. Suggestions to make this search a bit easier?

Last edited:
My preference is the Nik Software: Viveza and the software filters. Very fast and easy to use which speeds up workflow. PaintShop Pro is good too and for the really important, critical work Photoshop CS4.

skieur

General Editing: Picasa
Major Photo Editing: Adobe Photoshop

If you have the above two you are set. Have an online portfolio to present your pictures after post editing.

Njoy

I use Photobits' Photo Mechanic as a front end organization and ingestion software, and Phase One's Capture One 4 LE for raw processing, and Adobe's Photoshop CS2 for local adjustments.

Most reactions

Back