Some think I was born yesterday...

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
...which is only a waste of time on their part...

Some of you know that I don't like my current place of employment. Backstabbing reigns supreme and there is a high turnover to prove that point, as well as a few other factors. I chat to a couple of people there, as I feel in my gut that they are genuine but the rest...my gut (rightly) tells me not to trust and keep at working arms length.

One of the girls that works there, young and just starting her career, was someone that is all innocence and sweetness but right from the start I felt there was some fakeness there too but I don't let that get in the way of treating her with respect and courtesy. Most days, she rarely raises a conversation or a hello to me but so what...I just do my job and go home and spend time with my loved ones and that's all that matters.

This morning she turned up at the cafe that Josh and I get our morning coffee at, to start our day. She sits down with us and chats about this money making opportunity she has been introduced to and is doing and when we ask what it is...she says "Well, why don't I bring this friend over tonight..we're gonna be in the area".

We pressed for details but she refrained saying "Oh, he'll explain it to you better then I could..."

Tried to get out of it during the day, declaring the fact that Josh and I were tired and were just gonna get an early night...maybe next time kind thing. Yet, she was adamant "It'll only take half an hour" etc.

I thought, I aint gonna bite but ok....I havent been social with anyone from work so let her come around...hang out with us a bit. Josh and I agreed that this smells like a pyramid scheme and we were gonna get the hard sell...

She came around with her boyfriend and this older guy and he proceeded to do, you guessed it... "the hard sell". Aint gonna go into details...it was this

http://www.acninc.com/acn/us/index.jsp

Josh and I were shown a dvd...Oh GOLLY GOSH! Donald Trump is 'endorsing' this...let me get my credit card and sign right up, right now! Yes folks, for $ 500 you too can buy into this 'great opportunity, fire your boss and make tens of thousands by getting other people to sign up to the pyramid!

Yes yes folks, you've been told lies...there IS such a thing as quick, fast, easy money...

My work mate then tried to tell me that I was the first person she thought of to get me into this because " I don't just consider you a workmate...I consider you my friend..."

We have never even been out for a coffee on a lunchbreak...

It doesnt bother me that this guy was thinking Josh and I were stooges...just doesnt sit right that she thought I'd actually buy into this AND buy the syrupy " You're my fwiendddd" line. It really sounded so fake that even SHE must've cringed saying it!

The guy didnt like that I told him I'd sleep on it and investigate the hell out of it (to indulge him...we were NEVER gonna fall for this). He realized that I wasn't a stooge so his tune changed subtley...but Josh and I picked up on it, amusingly.

Now, I have to go sell a bridge to someone. See you when I'm a millionaire! :lol:

To add, the workmate signed up for it last night and parted with well earned $500. So, she is really wanting to "get her money back" as fast as possible. I feel a little bad for her because she has obviously fallen for it so I don't think she is being malicious in trying to get Josh and I on board...yet still...

I love these pyramid schemes. The last one I was exposed to was when I was with an then girlfriend. Her parents were involved with it (something to do with long distance I think) and tried to sign me up by showing me a video. They didn't seem all that happy when I politely declined. Anyway the company ended up going under shortly after that.

They are not all pyramid schemes. Several are reputible companies.

I am not in any but know of a couple that are good:
Pampered Chef
Slumber Parties
Mary Kay
Primerica

My father in law has done quite well with PowerMax energy in TX.

The key when looking at them is to find out if they have a real viable product. All of the above do!

I too was offered a "get rich" offer... It was sellling cell phone service. The idea was to get as many people under you to order the service, then they get people to order service from them, so on and so on. I couldn't believe it when a guy from work was telling me about this. Then he wanted me to come up with $500 to get started on my way to be rich........ cr*p!!!!!!

I am fully laughing out loud at your story! Scene's from David Mamet's "Glenn Gary Glenn Ross" come rushing to my head. You should make up the scene where they ask you guys if you are "swingers".

All due respect. I am sure it was slightly uncomfortable. I think the two of you were hospitable. Definitely get extra credit. I find it funny because I have not had a "cold call" in 12 years. Sales (scammers?) people avoid the high country.

Lol, yeah, we humoured them. It was interesting to hear their tones, when they were talkin to us...they were 'sell' tones....not conversation tones. Y'know when someone seems as if they've been coached in everything they say? I could almost see the formula floating out of their mouths, as if their speech was physical matter lol.

They definitely need more training on making it sound natural ;)

Not familiar with that movie Craig, is it any good?

Anyway, I stayed true to my word and investigated, for the sake of learning how much it burns people and HOW it achieves this.

I read it all, but scroll to the bottom if you are interested in the judges verdict...

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/federal_ct/2005/276.html

and, this one is kinda amusing...the guy goes to the meeting for the sake of playing gullible...until he starts asking pre-prepared questions that he formed when reading the fine print of their contract...

http://arbyte.us/blog_archive/2005/04/ACN_Pyramid_Scam.html

Award winning play. I am a huge David Mamet fan making me slightly biased. His work may not be for everyone. Especially small children.

Basically it is the story of a washed up sales office in Chicago. They are trying to sell people into a retirement community in Florida. The script delves heavily into the lengths the characters go to for a sale.

Anyway you can relate because it is exactly what you observed. The "get them to sign on the line that is dotted" mentality is strangely fascinating to me. I know some folks who could sell ice to Eskimos. Personally I could not sell a raft to a drowning man.

Rent the movie. Stars Al pacino, Alex Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemon (his son also makes an appearance) Ed Harris and two other very famous actors that I can not think of right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back