Someone burst my bubble today

For portraits like this what do you all use. I shot that with a a 55-250. I'm thinking I need a 70-200?? Any advice on that or maybe I will start a new post about a lens choice.

Many thanks again for all your thoughts!! ;)

My favorite lens for portraits is the 24-70mm F2.8L. I try to stay in the 70mm range because its more flattering to women but sometimes the 24mm comes in pretty hand, especially indoors. Before that I was content with my 50mm F1.8 and 85mm F1.8 other than having to take the time to change lenses.

I started out with the XT and I would still be happy with it, but I got the T2i last summer and I love the larger screen on it, so its hard to go back and use the other one. And from my experience, people do not notice a difference between an entry level DSLR or a higher up one. Add the battery grip on the entry level one and they would probably guess its a better camera than a 5D.

Photographer = Technician
Artist
Technical Artist
The best are all of these the rest are a samall mix of all three
She sounds like a technician
The final image comes from your eye not your wallet

I bought what little "gear" I have on Ebay :meh:

I had a similar experience. Years ago, a photographer (female) laughed at my camera. I realized, she was right. Not that I couldn't take good photos with it, I could...I realized that in order to "appear" professional, you have to have professional looking gear. Doesn't make me a better or worse photographer, but it gives clients confidence in knowing at least I look like I know what I'm doing. Would you pay $300 for a portrait session done with a point and shoot? I wouldn't. UNLESS....this photographer was known for their amazing point and shoot work and that was their thing. :)

But she was laughing at him for using an entry level dslr, and when you put a battery grip on the entry level, most people *non photographers, and even then* cant tell the difference between that and a full frame dslr. Unless they look at the model number and if they are not familiar with the different models then its all the same to them.

I probably cant tell the difference between an entry level nikon and the top level, no clue what the model numbers are. The only way I can probably tell from the front is if there is a slight size difference.

Most reactions

Back