Someone burst my bubble today

dietCoke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:(Hi everyone, I am new here to post but have been reading for some time. I have learned so much!

I have a question not sure if I am placing it in the right spot but here goes...

Recently I decided to make my hobby something more. So far I haven't done much but I was kind of proud of what I have done. UNTIL....I ran into another "photographer" and they made me feel as big as a mouse. They made kind of rude comments about my "making" it in the photography world with my equipment. Well, to be honest, I thought I had some pretty decent gear that works well for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't upgrade one day but it's what I have. I am using a Canon T1I with a variety of lenses. This other photographer all but laughed and said how she started out using a Canon rebel xt and can't believe she had the nerve to do it when now she has a Mark II or III??? I just heard WAH WAH WAH WAH (like the teacher in Peanuts cartoon) after so long of hearing her go on and on. So just when I was going to get my website up and tell people about my new venture/hobby....I feel my bubble was burst.

Now I think everyone is judging my skills based on my equipment. Seriously am I fool to try to have a small business with my gear? Please tell me, I feel crushed. Oh yeah, did I mention she was very "smirky" if that's a word. I know, I know....get thick skin right?! but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating customers if they expect me to show up with really big gear. I actually love my Canon. :( I love photography.

Thanks for listening!!

Obviously the other 'photographer' is nothing more than an uneducated pompous [insert expletive].

It's not the gear, it's the eyes that make a pro...gear won't make a bad eye look good but it will enhance a good eye ;)

You can probably do fine with the gear you have depending on the job your about to do.

If your doing jobs that required alot more quality/faster equipement and you dont have whats needed. you are in for a big faceplant.

It is true.. it is the photographer not the gear.. BUT......

It is true that you will find more bad photographers with consumer camera and lenses. It is kinda like stereotyping. Thats the way it is.

I have seen some freaking nice photos on this forum taken with kit lens and consumer grade dslr.

It is true.. it is the photographer not the gear.. BUT......

It is true that you will find more bad photographers with consumer camera and lenses. It is kinda like stereotyping. Thats the way it is.

I have seen some freaking nice photos on this forum taken with kit lens and consumer grade dslr.

True. Who knows what the other guys has taken pictures of, anyways. Does it matter what he says to say in the long run? No. Do what you do best, and forget what that prick has to say.

Few customers know or care about camera gear. They wouldn't know a T1i from a 5D MKII, from a D3x.

Even then, they have no knowledge of what makes a good photograph - technically (exposure, separation, white balance, composition), with the likely exception of focus. They usually know blurry when they see it.

They have to much emotional involvement with the photo.

The single biggest gear fail most new photographers make, is not having lighting gear and trying to shoot everything using only available light.

I gotta agree wih KmH, although I wouldn't be a prick about it, some stuff does depend on your gear.
I'm going to get a new camera before I attempt to get into the game. I absolutely wouldnt try with my kit lens, which I plan on to replace next week with a 17-50 2.8 The D3000 can't handle alot of things, especially noise wise, and I know for a fact I wouldn't hire a photographer with a D3000, I wouldn't hire myself unless it was outdoors in the daylight hahah, let alone a concert!
Portrait wise, I have a flash, but I dont have a softbox / umbrella though......

Gear isnt everything, but some gear does have its limits.

How well can you shoot? How well can Ms. Busybody shoot? I've seen "pros" using Nikon D60s at weddings...and they were mostly inept shooters, judging by the photos I saw later. It would not have mattered if they had D3x's...their pics still woulda' been substandard.

I think you would do fine with that stuff. Your friend is an example of somebody full of themselves.

I think you would do fine with that stuff. Your friend is an example of somebody full of themselves.

Yes.

OMG... You're using a ****ing T1i? :lol: I started with an XT... :lmao:

The fact that she started with an XT, means that it wasn't all that long ago when she started. I just think it's funny that after 5 years or so, she's all holier than thou and all that ****. :lol: Ignore her and move on.

As long as your gear doesn't get you killed beating the competition, then what ever works for you. John Henry (folklore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;)

It would be one thing if photography was a no artistic, no creativity needed operation, but as it stands it is not that simple and that is where we get varying degrees of work quality. (meaning better hardware is no guarantee) At some point nearly everyone will come to a point where they truly could do better work with better equipment sure. But the point at which that happens is entirely a personal judgment call in my opinion. As others have stated there are skills in photography that can quicker kill a shot more so then not having the best equipment.

The stupid person you encountered actually whether you or they know it or not was, in there unintelligent bliss, giving you a compliment. Think about it. For them to continuously harp on the importance of the hardware they use opposed to the hardware you use, one can only come to one conclusion. Their photography is only better then yours due to the hardware they use. Hmmm, that is something to be proud of. And this is despite the fact that they have been shooting longer then you? So that my friend compliments you in the fact that you have learned up to their level in a shorter amount of time and the only thing "holding you back" is the model number of your camera and lens.

I have faith that you see how silly their thinking is, how it discredits them as viable resource in this area. It doesn't require thick skin when you see that the truth is that they just don't know the truth. It requires thick skin when you find out there are things you really do need to do in order to improve that you have not been doing. This does not seem to be one of those times. (as far as your choice in hardware)

Sample work should be what sells you to your customers, not what made your sample work. Portfolio portfolio portfolio. ...then if they do know equipment it can be "you took these with that?" and that will be all that becomes of it.

Just my three cents (three not two because I tend to be a bit wordy) It's a curse.

Thanks everyone! I needed that. Like I said, I'm new here never posted an image before and still working on getting a website together. I just put one up on Flikr. But this web forum won't let me post a link since I am new and under 5 posts. Can you all IM me and would I be able to give you the link that way???

Keep in mind, I literally grabbed my child out of the chair just about an hour ago and had him "pretend" he was doing a "senior shot" just so I could see if I had any saving grace. He was much more interested in xbox and was not a happy camper. LOL!!! So this is my on the fly shot. Please be honest but gentle.....

Just hit the 'New Posts' button and reply to 3 of them. ;)

Be right back :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back