someone tell me about Cokin filter system

bean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I went to a shop the other day in search of a 49mm ND filter, and following the usual pattern, none were available, so the salesperson recommended the Cokin filter system
Can someone tell me the pros/cons of this system over ordinary screw on filters? What's the initial cost of the holder assembly and such?
Should I be worried about breaking filters since I like to climb rocks? With screw on filters it's not such a worry since I can just snap on a lenscap.

hi
i havent used them for years, but i remember they are prone
to getting scratched easily.

i dont know the price now for them ,

bean said:
I went to a shop the other day in search of a 49mm ND filter, and following the usual pattern, none were available, so the salesperson recommended the Cokin filter system
Can someone tell me the pros/cons of this system over ordinary screw on filters? What's the initial cost of the holder assembly and such?
Should I be worried about breaking filters since I like to climb rocks? With screw on filters it's not such a worry since I can just snap on a lenscap.

I used to do a fair amount of rock climbing and lost a filter or two. If you're going to take a camera along, I suggest a small camera, too much weight being a problem. But if you must have a ND filter on, I would definitely go with the screw on type. Cokin is great but scratches very easily, besides it takes you more dexterity to handle a Cokin, since you'll have to take it and/or put it back in its plastic case. Have you looked at 49mm to 52mm step up rings? Then, you'll be able to use the 52mm size ND filters, which are abundant.

Good luck.

i've only tried the polarizer...not the best, but it gets the job done and its cheap

Most reactions

New Topics

Back