Someone wants to buy my work, need help asap!

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So at my school (well, former school now) seniors are allowed to take the final month of the year to pursue whatever project they like as long as it's legitimate and you're learning something. So I chose to take 4 themes (Light, Lines, Liquid, and Motion) and do a series of photos based on them.

A few days after the presentation, at our grad night, a parent approached me and told me they like my photos, so much so that they wanted to buy some of them. I've never sold a picture before, and I feel bad charging her for it in the first place because I know her, but she was adamant about doing this formally. So I was wondering how you all come up with prices for your work, and also how to sign your photos (they will be on glossy photo paper)?

The reason for the asap is because I want to contact her as soon as possible, and be ready to do business since she was nice enough to pay me the respect to want to do this. So thanks in advance.

First off, you should definitely mat the photo. It keeps the photo off the glass, and it gives you a great place to sign and title the print. Factor that into the price, as well as the cost of the print. Then factor in your own cost, ie, how much time did you spend photographing, and post processing the image. What is your time worth? I would say $50 is a good starting place, but it's entirely up to you. If she wants to frame the picture, let her shouder that cost. If she insists that you frame it, then obviously up the price. I haven't seen your prints, but a white mat and thin black metal frame always works well, and is cost effective.

First off, you should definitely mat the photo. It keeps the photo off the glass, and it gives you a great place to sign and title the print. Factor that into the price, as well as the cost of the print. Then factor in your own cost, ie, how much time did you spend photographing, and post processing the image. What is your time worth? I would say $50 is a good starting place, but it's entirely up to you. If she wants to frame the picture, let her shouder that cost. If she insists that you frame it, then obviously up the price. I haven't seen your prints, but a white mat and thin black metal frame always works well, and is cost effective.

I planned to frame it for her. and where can I get mount board that proper for matting? I used foam board for mounting the pictures on in my display, but i don't think that's the same mount board used for matting...

When we mounted photos in my B&W class we mounted them onto white museum board. It is a slight textured material about the thickness of cardboard. If we did an 8x10 print our museum board size was 12 x 14 or so and visually centered on the board (perfectly centered horizontally but slightly higher than dead center vertically). When we signed it, we did so to the bottom of the photo on the right hand side.

Since my prints were done from film, i also wrote the settings i had during enlargement and any other notes on the back. But this won't be necessary unless its for your own collection.

Bring the work to a local frame shop. Add 15% and call it good.

This question can only be answered by you. If you feel you are a student then give it away. If you feel you have a museum quality print then charge $1,500. I know nothing of your work so I can only throw out general ideas. ASAP.

My personal work is always given away. Makes me very proud that someone would want it. My commercial and editorial clients get charged an arm and a leg. For me that is where the money is.

Love and Bass

You can buy mats in bulk from here for a good price:

http://www.matcutter.com/

I've used them before, suited me fine. Frame them if you insist. I've used these guys, but they have a minimum order amount:

http://www.frameusa.com/

If you want to frame them yourself, you should know that the frames you buy will literally only be the frames, and from some places (such as the place above), glass. You'll also need:

1. 1/8 inch hardwood cut to fit the backs (hardware store)
2. brads and bradpusher to attach the hardwood backs (hw store)
3. paper to seal the backs (craft or frame shop)
4. double sided tape or glue to adhere paper to backs
5. mister to spray water on the paper back, so it puckers up (the paper is there so dust and such doesn't get into the frame)
6. screws, hangers, and wire
7. a drill
8. pliers

That's just the way I do it, though. I'm sure other people have easier ways to do it, or more professional or archival methods. Depending on how many pieces you're framing, it can be time consuming, but once you have the process figured out, it goes pretty smoothly. Actually, it's really rewarding to frame your own work. If you shoot the image, develop the film and prints, then mat and frame your work, you own the entire process. It's a great feeling. (There I go getting all hippy dippy.)

Personally I have prints made in standard sizes by a cut out cardboard matte, shove the little muther in there and slip it in a plastic bag. I have never been good at reading other peoples minds.

I forget the name but there used to be a place that sold matts by the pad. Like twenty five precut matts not quite cardboard thick but thick enough not to go limp under their own weight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back