Something is off, can you help me figure out what?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What should I fix in this real estate listing photo?

17159212_10210286349767680_19113870297045689_o.jpg

looks pretty damn good to me. The only thing that I notice immediately was the lower contrast out the window, could possibly selectively increase that but it may be better as it is. A wider view would be nice, what lens you using on what body? Lighting looks pretty even, nice use of ambient.

I shot this with a D7200 and Nikon 10-24mm lens at 10mm. 5 exposures - 1 stop apart.

I think you are on to something with the lower contrast outside.

This was a really tough shot with the BRIGHT sun hitting the pool and much darker inside.

First 2 things I noticed was the (a) contrast on the left side, It looks like the glass has screen below them or something making them fuzzy (or simply OOF from DOF).
(b) also the different WB lighting left (bluish whites) to right (yellows). but you are going to get that with mixed natural vs artificial lighting.

But nice image.

Ok, so this morning with fresh eyes I selected just the outside and increased the whites and played with the sliders.

Then inverted the selection and turned the temp down on the inside.

Here is what I have now...Is this looking better?

27735-Robin-Roost-tough-one-2.jpg

The exterior looks rather dull and lackluster compared to the interior. I selected it, and bumped up the contrast and saturation. I then selected just the pool area as it still has a lot of highlights that are burned out to darken it some. Obviously, having access to the originals would make this a whole lot better and easier.

27735-Robin-Roost-tough-one-2.jpg

You're getting there.
But I like Sparky's version from the floor mat all the way to the color of the trees.

Yep. Sparky nailed it. I am working with the raw files now to try and duplicate the results.

Yep. Sparky nailed it. I am working with the raw files now to try and duplicate the results.
Too bad you had to shoot this house on an overcast day. Your first edit was threatening a storm. The lack of sunlight and shadows is doing you no favors.

^ It was sunny when I first got to the house, I took the pool / exterior photos first, so I do have sunny pool photos at least.

Here are some others from the shoot in case anything stands out to you guys. I have not turned these in yet, so I can still correct them if needed.

1. I am not sure if I like how dark the shadows are on the right, maybe add gradient filter to the right side to brighten?
27735-Robin-Roost-MLS-8.jpg

27735-Robin-Roost-MLS-18.jpg

3. Painters pole aerial photo

27735-Robin-Roost-MLS-23.jpg

4. Turn down yellows a bit?

27735-Robin-Roost-tiff-ext-8jpg0010.jpg

5. Too low of an angle?

27735-Robin-Roost-tiff-int-8jpg0030.jpg

6. Move the plant next time?
27735-Robin-Roost-tiff-int-11jpg0014.jpg

Not on-topic at all, but this seems like such a strange house to me, haha. The enclosed pool seems so grandious, and the rest of the house (including the outside portions) doesn't seem to match.

#1. Forget about the shadows. It's Florida on a sunny day!
#2. Skip this shot also. The playset is stealing my eye from concentrating on the pool.
#3. (skip) The high shot taken with your extension pole should not be used to help sell this house. It emphasizes the poorly-done concrete of the driveway, and that's not a positive, IMO.
#4. Holy undeveloped property, Batman! This shot will help sell the property to anyone who wants to start a truck garden back there. It is what it is, though, so there's that.
#5. Yes, camera position is too low.
#6. The plant is no worse than the kitchen table, the aquarium, or the giant clock. Could have used a bit more light at the refrigerator end of the kitchen.

The two things that caught my eye was the washed out outside (fixed), the tips of the ceiling fan blades from the upper left and too much ceiling. A lower crop from the top would eliminate the intruding black blobby ceiling fan and exclude the part of the ceiling that adds nothing to the sale/image.

Nice Image,Nice edit by sparky. I agree with JohnCT,I find the house with the pool and outside setting more off then your photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back