Something Very Annoying Happened Tonight

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sitting in a room with a bunch of my friends, we're all just hanging out have supper, having a good time... then my buddy starts talking to one of the girls about photography... asking her questions, stuff like that, because he wants to get a new camera, either an advanced PS or a low end dslr...

so shes telling him all about the ifs ands and whys about dslrs and things of that nature... she is a "self proclaimed photographer" who really thinks she knows what shes doing, but, she doesnt... shes the type who would take a job at a wedding, and show up with her point and shoot...in fact, she use to have a D80, and i brought her along to second shoot a wedding with me, basically so she could get some experience.. she got there, her camera wasnt working, so I gave her one of mine.. she shot on auto the whole time...

anyways, so shes talking to my buddy, telling him info and such... but its all wrong... because as I said, shes an "auto shooter" she doesnt understand shutter speed or aperture or anything like that.... i didn't want to pipe in because shes already annoyed with me that i've taken photography further than her in the 2+ years i've been shooting (to her 6 or 7 years)...

I guess i'm just frustrated and needed a place to vent... how do you guys deal with people who think they know it all... do you just let them go on, or do you try to correct them>????

I used to be confrontational ... but I hope I have matured and don't sweat the small stuff. The problem is that your bud may buy a camera based on wrong info ... so give him a call/text/email and give him the straight stuff. No need to belittle her also in your communique ... just that you over heard "Susie" and she wasn't entirely right ...

Gary

part of the problem is not that she is using auto mode
the problem is that - to her - auto mode gives her shots that are better than (I suspect) when she has tried the other modes. And when you spend that much money on a camera a lot of people today assume that the auto mode computer is doing a lot of work when infact its not really doing that much (when compared to the other modes on a DSLR)

As for how I would approach the problem - well I would try teaching her (though if she is already bitter against you this might be a deadend road - you could try, just that you would have to be extra polite)
As for the other friend I suspect confruntation in person might have led to a conflict between you and the girl - and your other friend would quickly have been left way behind in the argument - so good on not butting in then. Just have a chat with him about your views on cameras and what is best for him - but don't rush out to say that your other friend was "wrong". Instead just offer your position on the discussion without bias. If you try to start countering all her points you just start building on a war with her which now involves others as weapons (which camera he picks becomes the battleground)
just remain neutral

sitting in a room with a bunch of my friends, we're all just hanging out have supper, having a good time... then my buddy starts talking to one of the girls about photography... asking her questions, stuff like that, because he wants to get a new camera, either an advanced PS or a low end dslr...

so shes telling him all about the ifs ands and whys about dslrs and things of that nature... she is a "self proclaimed photographer" who really thinks she knows what shes doing, but, she doesnt... shes the type who would take a job at a wedding, and show up with her point and shoot...in fact, she use to have a D80, and i brought her along to second shoot a wedding with me, basically so she could get some experience.. she got there, her camera wasnt working, so I gave her one of mine.. she shot on auto the whole time...

anyways, so shes talking to my buddy, telling him info and such... but its all wrong... because as I said, shes an "auto shooter" she doesnt understand shutter speed or aperture or anything like that.... i didn't want to pipe in because shes already annoyed with me that i've taken photography further than her in the 2+ years i've been shooting (to her 6 or 7 years)...

I guess i'm just frustrated and needed a place to vent... how do you guys deal with people who think they know it all... do you just let them go on, or do you try to correct them>????

That's because she shoots Nikon :lol:

I'm with VI, I would have shot her down in a heartbeat. I'd rather piss one person off than let them spread disinformation.

You think I'm kidding, go ask the local Best Buy camera pukes, lol.

There is a certain satisfaction in shutting down people like that. Depending on their intent and who they are (i.e. a friend or business associate). Usually, in my experience, if you give them enough rope they'll hang themselves. If not a few well placed questions will bring their full ignorance into a glorious spotlight.

Shoot them down, works even better is you can produce facts to back you up there and then!

The person she is talking to may only want something to point and shoot. Most people do not want to get seriously involved in photography, just talk a good game. Keep out of it.

I hear folks ask advise all the time about what cam to get. MOST PEOPLE WANT A POINT AND SHOOT. I ask do you want to learn photography ~ Its a few years to get there or do you want to push the button and get a real nice snapshot. Most wanna shortcut to the snap. So I say get a powershot or coolpix.

Most reactions

Back