Somewhere in Utah

Eclectix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried photographing this exact same scene on a previous trip through Utah months ago. When I made the same drive again, I had a better idea of what angle I wanted; however, since it's from the bridge of an interstate I had to take it from the car as I sped on by. Knowing ahead of time where I wanted to snap the shot helped me get the ox-bend of the river just the way I wanted at just the right moment. I was fortunate to have an interesting sky that day, as well.

$00IMG_3295 1000p.jpg

Took a few liberties with your color and though there was some selective saturation, it was more working with each zone of tonal range and adjusting relative to each other. Boy, I'll bet you all will be happy when it quits raining here (45 days of it raining at least 1/2 of the day, but overcast for more than 8/10 of every day...arrrggghhh).

$9527748540_666a0ae0d2_o.jpg

Did you want the river to be a main focal point?

since it's from the bridge of an interstate I had to take it from the car as I sped on by.

I'm sure it would be much safer to park before the bridge and walk out onto the bridge to take the photo. It will also let you a give more concentrate more on the image then on driving.

If you are referring to my edit...not really but darkening it and the right side greenery helps to move the eye inward. You are right of course that it probably needs to be tonally, a shade lighter.

Ceeboy, thanks fort your edit, it gives me some things to ponder.

Juga, no I didn't want the river to be a focal point so much as I wanted it to guide the eye into the landscape.

Light Guru, Yes, that would be a good idea if I were the one driving! :mrgreen: My wife was at the wheel during that stint of the drive. It's an interstate freeway and there is nowhere for a pedestrian to walk on it. I could have stopped before the bridge and taken a photo from beneath it, but I rather wanted this perspective anyway. Also, as usual, there was a time table to meet.

Did you use a polarizer to darken the sky or was that done in post?

If you are referring to my edit...not really but darkening it and the right side greenery helps to move the eye inward. You are right of course that it probably needs to be tonally, a shade lighter.

I was directing that to the OP but that is what I was getting at. It is lost with all the browns but I see what he was going for.

Did you use a polarizer to darken the sky or was that done in post?

Yes, I did use a polarizing filter that day. I did darken it a touch more at the top of the sky to give it a better graduated look, but the polarizer made that a lot easier.

I was directing that to the OP but that is what I was getting at. It is lost with all the browns but I see what he was going for.

The river is just not interesting enough to be a great focal point by itself I think. The water is brown, and always has been when I've seen it, but the bend is interesting and its purpose in the photo is primarily to act as leading lines in the overall composition. The last time I I drove past here and photographed the same basic scene, I missed the river bend because I wasn't really prepared for it, and the resulting photograph of the rocks and hills was just "meh". The composition was simply lacking without any hint of the creek.

Most reactions

Back