Son #2...

mouth positioning a bit awkward, it's not a full smile, it's not a grin.
it's like mid smile

Ouch! :lol: I never said this stuff was my strong suit! That... and I need to actually put some time into it. I almost never "turn" an image into something it wasn't envisioned for when shooting, so.... :p

Sorry John! You asked "I'm interested in the thoughts of others..." and I'll admit that it's kind of a thrill to catch something on one of the photographers I admire instead of the other way around.:allteeth: So many times there are those that critique others but you never see them post their work. That's why when you tell me something or give me advice I take it to heart.

Supposedly infants as young as 3-4 months are able to "see" the minor differences in an image, as we get older the brain subconsciously prioritizes and discards things that it has learned to deem unimportant. It still sees it, but it doesn't register exactly. The brain will register that it likes a more perfect image then one less so, but doesn't bother with the why if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Sorry John! You asked "I'm interested in the thoughts of others..." and I'll admit that it's kind of a thrill to catch something on one of the photographers I admire instead of the other way around.:allteeth: So many times there are those that critique others but you never see them post their work. That's why when you tell me something or give me advice I take it to heart.
Don't be sorry - I appreciate it! Like I said, the idea of taking an image and turning it into something that wasn't envisioned at the start is a bit out of my wheelhouse, and see the areas I can improve is only going to help me!

I like the original a lot, but I think the second version looks very over edited.

I like the subtle editing you did on the first one, but I think you might want to reduce the brightness of his right ear (camera left). There also seems to be a halo around the edge of his shirt, which can appear like sloppy editing. It shouldn't take too long to remove it with some burning.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan... I need to actually spend some time on this. I freely admit to being a bit of a hack when it comes to PS, which is why I invariably try and get things as close to right as I can, in camera.

Thanks Dan... I need to actually spend some time on this. I freely admit to being a bit of a hack when it comes to PS, which is why I invariably try and get things as close to right as I can, in camera.

Rather than try to explain what isn't right about the shot, I thought I would give a shot at what I would have done if it had been mine...hope this doesn't offend.
upload_2018-7-22_14-47-56.png

Doesn't offend in the slightest. I do find though that your version seems to have an almost too smooth or 'plastic-y' feel to the face which I'm not sure works, especially for men.

Tough digital crowd. Y'all are tripping. The original image is fine. It has a great deal of emotion, a feeling of non sterile, non digital imagery. If I were the artist, I would look at this as a road to future work and incorporate it. This work has a unique render and line draw. All your other work is great but doesn't have the qualities of this image. You may want to spend time getting to know your veteran sitters better because this image is dreamy.

I agree a bit with JC, find that the image is very nicely taken it is just the BG that I look at and think it does not suit your son.

I agree a bit with JC, find that the image is very nicely taken it is just the BG that I look at and think it does not suit your son.
Thanks Dave; 'though he's the client's son, not mine. ;) I agree with you on the background, and were this a posed image with this result in mind, it DEFINITELY would not have been my choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back