Son and I

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Son_and_I.jpg

any hints on how to get rid of shadow on my short side?
this was shot with canon 10d, 550ex shoe mount on camera, with a slave 550ex shot into an umbrella about 45 degrees from my long side and about 4 feet above my face

i wouldnt touch the shadow, its a great photo.. i think the shadow adds more dimension and makes it less flat :D ...

I think it's a fantastic shot as-is.

I do have a question for you, somewhat related. How do you like the 550EX? I'm getting ready to get a flash for my 300D and am torn between the 420EX or spending the extra $100 for the 550EX.

thanks for the feedback. the 550ex is much more versatile than the 420, if only b/c the 550 can be used as a master and the 420 can't. also, the 550 is more powerful. if you are sure you never want to use the newer flash as a master, you'd be ok with the less expensive piece.

just took a peek at your website .. you've got some nice portraits over there .. :D

Osmer_Toby said:
thanks for the feedback. the 550ex is much more versatile than the 420, if only b/c the 550 can be used as a master and the 420 can't. also, the 550 is more powerful. if you are sure you never want to use the newer flash as a master, you'd be ok with the less expensive piece.

That's what I'm worried about. I've learned the hard way to save now and get good equipment--I've gone through 3 spendy cameras that I outgrew quickly before arriving at the DSLR world. I'm afraid by getting the 420 I'd end up wishing for the 550 in a few months.

Eventually I'm going to get into event shooting (weddings and such). Is the power-jump between the two noticeable enough to justify the 550?

yes, there is definitely a difference. if you're headed for event shoots, you'll want the 550.
i have the same philosophy- spend the money the first time through, b/c you get what you pay for; if at all possible, i'd wait it out and get the better flash...

Use a reflector to eliminate the shadow.

I like to use white foamcore. I have 6 sheets that I can clamp together with spring clamps from the hardware store. This way I can make different shapes/sizes, and way cheaper than a reflector set.

excellent idea- where should i place the reflector- lower or higher than my facial plane? (i'll try both, but what's your suggestion?)

Osmer_Toby said:
excellent idea- where should i place the reflector- lower or higher than my facial plane? (i'll try both, but what's your suggestion?)

I'd say it depends on where you want the light to fall. I know that sounds simplistic, but do you want to just eliminate that shadow, or light up the other areas of your face as well. Put it just to the camera-right of center and you'll get a lot more facial lighting, put it mroe to the side and you'll light the shoulder more and leave more of the front of the face in shadow.

(Of course, I'm a moron when it comes to lighting, so I might be way off base.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back