Sony 3n vs canon eos m - supplement dslr

yakapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
About a year ago this forum helped me purchase a dslr. Now I'm shooting with a T4i and I have a few lenses and a speed lite flash. I'm still a rookie, so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms.

I wanted something portable for when I didn't feel like lugging around the big camera bag so I bought a Sony 3n. Here's my issues with it - the kit lens is too slow if you zoom- even at 35mm. I could go buy a faster prime, but I'm still stuck with the mediocre flash. The flash doesn't exactly light up the subject evenly. I'm spoiled. Also the interface is somewhat irritating.

So I was considering selling it and buying the canon eos m with the 22mm prime. The cons are that 22mm is a tiny bit wide. My favorite lens for my dslr is the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Also the canon doesn't have a flip out screen - I'd have to lay on the floor to shoot my 12 month old daughter. But the main reason I want it is the interface. I already know how to use it. Also any flash I get will be 5x better.

Options
1. Buy a prime lens for the Sony and learn to use it.
2. Sell the Sony and get the canon eos m w/ 22mm 2.0

Last edited:
About a year ago this forum helped me purchase a dslr. Now I'm shooting with a T4i and I have a few lenses and a speed lite flash. I'm still a rookie, so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms.

I wanted something portable for when I didn't feel like lugging around the big camera bag so I bought a Sony 3n. Here's my issues with it - the kit lens is too slow if you zoom- even at 35mm. I could go buy a faster prime, but I'm still stuck with the mediocre flash. The flash doesn't exactly light up the subject evenly. I'm spoiled. Also the interface is somewhat irritating.

So I was considering selling it and buying the canon eos m with the 22mm prime. The cons are that 22mm is a tiny bit wide. My favorite lens for my dslr is the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Also the canon doesn't have a flip out screen - I'd have to lay on the floor to shoot my 12 month old daughter. But the main reason I want it is the interface. I already know how to use it. Also any flash I get will be 5x better.

Options
1. Buy a prime lens for the Sony and learn to use it.
2. Sell the Sony and get the canon eos m w/ 22mm 2.0

Hi yakapo - Since you have the T4i already, I would get the EOS M. You can't beat it for $236 body-only from BigValue via eBay. And with a $129 EOS M to EF adapter from Digital Rev, the EOS-M is 100% compatible with your Sigma 30mm f1.4 (or any other Canon EF/EF-S compatible lens).

So for a total of $365, you'll have a camera about the same size as the Sony NEX-3N - with the same menu layout, lenses and image quality as your T4i.

For Canon owners, the EOS M is pretty good value for the money. But if you're going to buy one, you should get it now - dealers are clearing the shelves for the replacement model. They won't last long at these prices.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi yakapo - Since you have the T4i already, I would get the EOS M. You can't beat it for $236 body-only from BigValue via eBay. And with a $129 EOS M to EF adapter from Digital Rev, the EOS-M is 100% compatible with your Sigma 30mm f1.4 (or any other Canon EF/EF-S compatible lens).

So for a total of $365, you'll have a camera about the same size as the Sony NEX-3N - with the same menu layout, lenses and image quality as your T4i.

For Canon owners, the EOS M is pretty good value for the money. But if you're going to buy one, you should get it now - dealers are clearing the shelves for the replacement model. They won't last long at these prices.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks for the links!!! I'm going to buy it. I miss the touch screen. However, I want to at least try the 22mm so I'll buy the kit.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon charges tax in my state. Any reputable sellers that have the the eos m with the 22mm kit for $299 and free shipping?

I wonder what I should ask for the Sony 3n with 3 batteries and an external charger?

Most reactions

Back