Sony A 700 announced - competes with Nikon D300, Canon 40D

i would think by "starter" he meant that a beginner amature photographer , not as much someone just starting out with an SLR

I understand that. I'm making a point about there being a market for people buying a camera like the 40D as their very first dSLR, is all. It was an issue somewhere, as I recall ..... Doesn't that make me a "starter" dSLR buyer?

However, I have been told by various sales people that the reason there isn't a kit lens with the 40D is that it's assumed almost everyone buying it is moving up from another dSLR and has compatible lenses. Which goes against the thesis. If this is confusing, I'm not surprised.;)

well i dont know if it would necessarily make you a "starter" buyer, because you've used an SLR before.... so you at least know what you're doing.... for example, sony has an FAQ on their support website saying somethign to the effect of-
Q: Why cant i see the image on my LCD screen while composing a shot?
A: The LCD displays settings and info, the Viewfinder is used to compose a shot.

i'd consider a starter as someone who just moved up from a point and shoot because the guy at the camera shop said that if they wanted good pictures they needed to buy a dSLR...

I'm glad to see Sony finally getting more bodies and lenses out there. They already have some really sweet high-end glass mixed with all of minolta's lenses. I don't see why a professional wouldn't use it. The only thing that really bugs me about the body is the AF/MF button. Not a fan of that, but oh well. Though i'm possibly looking to jump to Nikon, just depends.

Hey SteveLuke...You 'dissing' my camera? That's pretty ignorant.

People get "sold" everyday. They walk in and say... I saw the
most magnificent photos the other day. I think he had some
sort of Nikon or something. I want that camera. I want my pictures
to look just like those. LOL

Then they end up being sold a $1400 D200 that they shoot on Auto
mode 100% of the time.

Um...no, i asked you if your experiance with that particular camera led you to your conclusion about canon and nikon. Another thing to mention, if Sony "stuck to making tvs and playstations" theres a few digital camera companys that might not be around considering Sony provides them with sensors. Oh and incase you didn't get a clear answer in your thread asking if canon L glass lets in more light at f2.8 then your point and shoot at F2.8. Yes, yes it does.

True, but then you did just effectively "diss" every Sony, Olympus and Pentax users by implying that if we knew something about photography we'd buy Canon or Nikon :lol:

And so back to the regularly posted announcement...

It's pretty exciting watching what Sony is doing - and will continue to do. They pretty much run the road in the pro video camera division and are proving to be ambitious in the dSLR market too - can't wait for the full-on PRO model to come out!!!

Admitedly i've really been waiting for a viable replacement for my aging, but still awesome 7D and Sony has settled my upgrade path concerns completely. I wish they had included a exposure comp dial/knob, but i'm glad to see some other very important improvements included such as huge ISO range and reportedly improved AF speed - both very needed improvements (hopefully the higher ISO's have low noise....).

Viva la Sony!!!

i've seen samples up to 6400 iso, and they all looked decent. 6400 resembles my a100 at 1600...

Oh...that Zeiss 135 1.8 and the 85 1.4 - Sweet Lord those are beautiful lenses... not that I can afford them and the a700. But it is getting exciting again for those of us who are still dedicated to Minolta. Oh, I mean Sony.

Aside from my 7D trucking along rendering perfect tones and colors, i'm just waiting for Sony to finish all the IQ tweaking for the PRODUCTION model. It's sorta reasurring that Sony cares to "get it right" before releasing it's product to the customer even though they NEED to get something new on the shelves to remain competitive and to save face.

Most reactions

Back