Sony a100 blues

I dunno, i have my a100 and gonna be stick'en with it. Sony has definitely made an investment with the whole line of lenses they've produced. And Ritz camera is just a weird company to work for anyways. For a long time, they never had any Olympus cameras. Then out of the blue they start to carry them.

Kits/Ritz/wolf are all the same company now, so i bet you they are trying to do a marketing ploy. But i do have my eye on going up to Nikon if they don't get more serious with their camera body.

Sounds like most of the information is coming from retailers at the moment. IMO someone needs to contact Sony themselves, ask them if their products are actually being recalled without replacement and if so what they are smoking. I know trying to get information out of camera companies is like blood from a stone, but it's worth a try.

In the meantime I've posted on Dyxum, a Minolta/Sony-specific forum. You may get more information (or perhaps just more speculation ;) ) there.

alphatracks.com posted an article relating to this, but still no real facts to back anything up.... i'm calling BS on this. why would sony discontinue the camera named dslr of the year in 06 by pop photo? it makes no sense

ok, i dont knwo what to think anymore, i've heard rumors from a british alpha site saying that they have already discontinued the a100 over there...

Well according to LostProphet the A100 is still on sale here... unless he is being forced to lie; maybe Sony are holding some otters hostage :lol:

The impression I get from the Dyxum forum is that the A100 is being discontinued because of the new camera body; not that it is being recalled. In other words you should be able to buy it until stocks run out. Apparently rumours have been bouncing around for a while now. But supposedly in a few days we will hear about the new camera and hopefully that will clear up any confusion,

yeah, some peopel were saying they were being recalled as in, the existing stocks of it were being called back to the factory, nto that there was anything wrong with them, but i'm really upset that sony decided to discontinue the a100 model because i'm sure if they put out a new one to take its place, it'll have all the features that i wanted and all the problems i have with this one will probably be fixed... i'm not made of money!

yeah, some peopel were saying they were being recalled as in, the existing stocks of it were being called back to the factory, nto that there was anything wrong with them, but i'm really upset that sony decided to discontinue the a100 model because i'm sure if they put out a new one to take its place, it'll have all the features that i wanted and all the problems i have with this one will probably be fixed... i'm not made of money!

welcome to the world of digital photography!

well, this is more or less the same for all sony, nikon, oly, canon, pentax and whatever people. old models are discontinued and new ones appear that are better in some ways ...

it is a money drain ;)

having worked in a Camera shop for over 10 years I have NEVER known ANY manufacturer to recall any stock that is not defective.

Why would they?

What would they do with a load of stock they have recalled if it the stock was in working order? Just bin it? get real!

The simple fact is that Sony are due to announce their new stock, around Sept 13th from memory, just like Canon and Nikon done the other week.

What probably has happened is that those stores are waiting to see what is coming before they place any orders, no shop wants to get stuck with old stock if there are new products around the corner.

alex, you're right, that IS how it usually goes, but how often do you see a company discontinue a camera thats only a couple years old? and thier FIRST dslr?

alex, you're right, that IS how it usually goes, but how often do you see a company discontinue a camera thats only a couple years old? and thier FIRST dslr?

they all have

ah... well ok, guess i was wrong... what about like the canon rebel xt? how long was that in production before the xti was made?

these are Canon's dates of announcements, most entry level and mid range cameras are replaced every 18 months, the exceptions to that rule arethe cameras that have had no competition like the full frame bodies

entry level
300D/rebel aug 03
350d/xt feb 05
400d/xti aug 06

mid range
D30 may 00
D60 feb 02
10d feb 03
20D aug 04
30d feb 06
40d aug 07

Pro full frame
1ds feb 02
1dsmk2 sep 04
1ds mk3 aug 07

Pro high speed
1d sep 01
1d mk2 jan 04
1dmk2n aug 05
1dmk3 feb 07

non pro full frame
5d aug 05

Nikon dates

again its the consumer cameras that get replaced on average every 18 months

pro
D1 jun 99

pro high res
d1x feb 01
d2x sep 04
d2xs jun 06

pro high speed
d1h feb 01
d2h jul 03
d2hs feb 04

semi pro
d100 feb 02
d200 nov 05
d300 aug 07

mid range
d70 jan 04
d70s apr 05
d80 aug 06

entry level
d50 apr 05
d40 nov 06

entry level high res
d40x mar 07

pro full frame
d3 aug 07

as for the future, Canon should be announcing a 5D and 400D/rebel xti replacement around feb. As for Nikon, I've not heard of anything but guessing a D90 again around feb

Most reactions

New Topics

Back