sony A350 vs D80

mike11165

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to wolf camera today, Im on a camera purchasing journey, after a few hours on TPF forum speaking with the pros, I wanted to check the touch and feel of d80 and in my mind, thats what I was going to purchase. After the sales associate got a hold of me, I left without a camera and thinking I need the sony a350. His reasons were- 14.2 mega pixels vs. 10.2- it has image stab. and auto focus built into the body where the d80 would need much more expensive lenses that contain Nikon's VR because the d80 doesnt have imag stab. Also said the sony zeiss lenses are superb and the live action lcd is the best one made- price for sony w 18-70mm is $799- D80 body only $700... Wanted some feedback from the experts before I buy a sony because I dont see a lot of you guys using them..help!

Sony is great. Although, there have been more complaints about the A350 than the A300. If you like the Live-View, I'd say go for the A300 because it's the exact same as the A350 except it has (slightly)faster FPS shooting and better noise performance.

thats great information, thanks!

The Sony A350 is one of my cameras and I have no complaints whatsoever. The live view is great and better than on any other DSLR since it just involves a switch..no lag, focus, or other problems. The Sony SSM autofocus motor is extremely fast and quiet, apparently better than the Canon 40D according to one review.

I avoided kit lenses however and went for a Sigma f 2.8 18mm to 50mm macro (35mm equivalent of 27mm to 75mm) and the Sony G lens 70mm to 300mm. (35mm equivalent of 105mm to 450mm).

There is a little high frequency picture noise at the highest ISOs 1600 and 3200 in the dark areas of some shots but it doesn't show up in most prints and can be filtered out easily with a program called NoiseWare Professional, if you are really picky. The included Sony Motion Picture Browser is quite good for quickly looking at large numbers of images and the sharpening fix in the same program is one of the best, I have seen.

skieur

Yay! A Sony supporter on TPF!

I wouldn't recommend Sigma lenses for Sony though. There have been many instances where the Sony AF is too fast for Sigma's lens' gear's and they end up stripping. Tamron (17-50mm f/2.8) is a really good choice. The Sony lens skieur has is a VERY good lens too.

The body only is a very smart approach (wish the US had that option for the A200/A300).

I'm not going to say purchase Sony, but I'm just trying to help in your decision. I know for sure that if you were going to get the XSi, which is a great camera by all means, you might as well get a 40D because they're so close in price.

Good luck in your decision.

I'm using a camera right now that has some of the A100/300/350 technology in it. All I can say is SWEEEET!

Personally from all that I've read (and that's ALLOT!) I think that unless we're talking about one of Nikon's tanks (D2x, D300, D3, D700) Sony makes a better camera. More features and each feature works better than the Nikon equivalent.

Yay! A Sony supporter on TPF!

I wouldn't recommend Sigma lenses for Sony though. There have been many instances where the Sony AF is too fast for Sigma's lens' gear's and they end up stripping. Tamron (17-50mm f/2.8) is a really good choice. The Sony lens skieur has is a VERY good lens too..

I have not had any problems yet and was not aware of that issue. I do find that the autofocus is extremely fast on that Sigma lens and it seems to have a solid build.

Nevertheless Tamron's newer technology Sony lenses are testing out very well too, so I agree that this is a good choice too, or instead of, as the case may be.

skieur

I prefer to sell the D80 over any of the sony's because IMO the AF is eaiser to use and see, and Nikon's superior flash system, wireless or not.

I prefer to sell the D80 over any of the sony's because IMO the AF is eaiser to use and see, and Nikon's superior flash system, wireless or not.

I agree with everything you say, and would add my own little bit... Nikkor lenses don't fit on a Sony, and Nikkor lenses are why I shoot Nikon... they are absolutely fantastic.

To me, it is all about what lens system you want, and frankly Nikon and Canon have the best lens systems... it isn't even close.

I agree with everything you say, and would add my own little bit... Nikkor lenses don't fit on a Sony, and Nikkor lenses are why I shoot Nikon... they are absolutely fantastic.

To me, it is all about what lens system you want, and frankly Nikon and Canon have the best lens systems... it isn't even close.

Interesting that you said best lens "systems" which is not the same as best lenses.

Most of the test lab results that form part of reviews tend to point toward Leica and Zeiss as the BEST lenses and these lenses are respectively associated with Leica, Panasonic and Sony cameras.

skieur

Last edited:

I am not sure how any AF would be "easier to use and see". AF is fast or slow, quiet or noisy, but hard or easy to see.???:wink:

skieur

Interesting that you said best lens "systems" which is not the same as best lenses.

Most of the test lab results that form part of reviews tend to point toward Leica and Zeiss as the BEST lenses and these lenses are respectively associated with Leica, Panasonic and Sony cameras.

skieur

There are 23 Sony lenses available on B&H under Digital SLR lenses. The 300 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 Carl Zeiss, 85 mm f/1.4Carl Zeiss, the 135 f/1.8 Carl Zeiss, the 35 f/1.4 and the 100 f/2.8 macro are the best of them... several of which can be classified as "pro" quality lenses.

The system doesn't have a 400, 500 or 600mm pro quality lens (for sports shooters), only a couple of fast zooms, nothing with tilt shift or defocus control, and only one long fast prime lens.

Just run down the list of available options on both Canon's and Nikon's lens systems and it becomes pretty clear that the Sony system is MUCH more limited (albeit they do have some fine glass).

There are 23 Sony lenses available on B&H under Digital SLR lenses. The 300 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 Carl Zeiss, 85 mm f/1.4Carl Zeiss, the 135 f/1.8 Carl Zeiss, the 35 f/1.4 and the 100 f/2.8 macro are the best of them... several of which can be classified as "pro" quality lenses.

The system doesn't have a 400, 500 or 600mm pro quality lens (for sports shooters), only a couple of fast zooms, nothing with tilt shift or defocus control, and only one long fast prime lens.

Just run down the list of available options on both Canon's and Nikon's lens systems and it becomes pretty clear that the Sony system is MUCH more limited (albeit they do have some fine glass).

Also, I have mentioned in previous threads the second hand lens market for Nikon/Canon should also be something cheap people (like me) who are getting into a system should consider.

I don't know why you would want to be that far away for sports shooting. The pro line Sony 300mm 2.8 (450mm equivalent at 35mm) would certainly do the job in most situations. The Sony G lens zoom from 70mm to 300mm certainly is good for cross country activities.

Tilt shift is great for shooting buildings close-up with a wide angle but not everyone has the need or the interest in that kind of shooting. DX0 software certainly solves the problem for those that do occasional work in that area and don't want to spend a lot of money on a tilt-shift lens.

You also did not mention the Minolta lenses made during their relationship with Leica or the Tokina zoom lenses 70mm to 400mm (to 600mm 35mm equivalent) which fit the Maxxum and Sony Alpha line.

The handholdable 500mm Minolta (750mm 35mm equivalent) at f. 8 is a one of a kind that is being used considerably in nature photography in Africa.

I don't think you have really looked carefully at what is available for the Sony Alpha cameras. :wink::wink::wink:

Tegan

There is a little high frequency picture noise at the highest ISOs 1600 and 3200 in the dark areas of some shots but it doesn't show up in most prints and can be filtered out easily with a program called NoiseWare Professional, if you are really picky.

skieur

What are we saying here? that the noise up at those ISO's is practically unnoticeable? I'm assuming it's either to do with in-camera NR or it just really is that good?

For me, if that was the case, that it was just that good and i was considering the Sony.. then it would be a major selling point. (if it's in camera NR that's doing the magic i wouldn't be so impressed though :) )

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/page17.asp - Results seem pretty... not good. :(

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page18.asp - D80 since we're comparing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back