Sony a6000 vs Nikon d5300 vs Olympus OMD EM10

For a safari would the Sony a6000, the Nikon d5300, or the Olympus OMD EM10 be better?

• Total voters

ZooVet95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I will be taking a camping safari trip soon and am looking for a great mirrorless camera. I am considering the Sony a6000, the Nikon d5300, or the Olympus OMD EM10 but I am open to new suggestions. Any thoughts?

I voted for the Nikon D5300, with the new 80-400 VR-G lens. It's not a mirrorless camera, but rather a small d-slr with a pretty decent battery performance for a small camera.

For $1000 you could buy the OM-D E-M10 with the M.Zuiko 75-300mm. More than enough power for your safari, without having to break the bank

D5300. Safari equals stationary and moving animals. Dslrs are just better at focus tracking still

D5300. Safari equals stationary and moving animals. Dslrs are just better at focus tracking still

I may contradict my statement above, but I can agree to this. I've had the Nikon D5100 and I currently have the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II. The focus tracking with the Olympus takes some getting used to. ...by this I mean using Manual focus for fast moving birds. On stationary or slower moving objects, the auto-focus is very fast and accurate!
I tried using my OM-D E-M5 Mark II along with the M.Zuiko 75-300mm lens for shooting Osprey's and other various flying birds at the beach, using Continuous Auto Focus. I found the lens hunting for the focus, which was very frustrating, as I got very few "keepers." I'm not sure if it was the camera or the lens's focusing ability. I ended up switching to manual focus, and found the "Focus Peaking" offered in the Olympus a very useful tool, increasing my success rate exponentially.
Now, to be fair, I had not yet used this camera for this purpose, as I've only had it for a month or so. (I also did not purchased this camera for this purpose. I bought the Olympus package for it's small travel size). The settings in itself took some getting used to. By the week's end, I was starting to get the hang of taking some really sharp photos. Practice makes perfect, and I know I could get sharper photos now that I am more familiar with the camera and it's proper settings.

With that said, Given the choice for your Safari purpose ONLY and no other variables, I would go with a Nikon DX body with the 70-300 VR II. You will probably not be disappointed.

Just an FYI-- I have both an Olympus E-M5 and the E-M1. While the e-m5 is pretty much useless on continuous, I find the e-m1 to be pretty accurate on C-AF, especially after installing the V3.0 firmware upgrade. I have yet to try the e-m1 on C-AF with tracking, so I don't know how that will do, but again, the C-AF close to DSLR capabilities.

Most reactions

Back