Sony A7 and Canon 5D Mark II dynamic range comparison

Turanga Alex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

DXO shows significant difference in dynamic range between these two cameras at ISO 100 - more than 2 EVs: Sony A7 versus Canon EOS 5D Mark II - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

However I couldn't find any side-by-side test that proves this. The question I'm having is: how much better does A7 save information in the highlights? And shadows? In comparison with 5DM2.

In order to get obvious answers I want to ask someone who owns both these cameras to make a side-by-side test, with the same wide dynamic range scene, position, lens, aperture and shutter speed and ISO set to 100.

You can make identical adjustments to both images in RAW convertor (for example, Lightroom) to recover clipped information from highlights/shadow. But if you can share the RAW files, it would be great.

“THIS CAMERA HAS GREAT DYNAMIC RANGE.”
Translation: “I can fix my poorly exposed photos much easier in Photoshop.”

I need all the help i can get dont knock it. :1251:

John

I cant help you but I am curious, why compare a new modern camera like the A7 to the very old and grey Canon 5D II ?
The 5D III itself is pretty old already (even though its a very capable camera) it would make more sense comparing the A7 to Canon current top model.

Here. Go here and see SIDE BY SIDE tests, shot with the same,exact sample of one lens, comparing a Nikon D800, with a Sony sensor, against the Canon 5D Mark III, done by Fred Miranda. Not a member of his site, but Fred Miranda himself. LOOK at the huge difference in the shadow handling of the Sony sensor, versus the Canon 5D-III's sensor...and then, go to DxO Mark.com and look up the testing results.Part II - Controlled tests

Read what Fred Miranda wrote in regard to the performance of the SONY sensors; they have leapfrogged what Canon manufactures. It's a matter of one company having newer, better machinery and newer, better technology to make sensors with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back