Sony A7 - Great Camera

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by sonicbuffalo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Absoutely. Of course these are just "loose" comparisons since they don't account for complexity etc... but here's a similar comparison when you can design around a smaller image circle:

EM5 45/1.8, EM5 75mm f/1.8 (just for kickers), D3300 85mm f/1.4

Compact Camera Meter

Of course, I'm not saying that one, FF, APS, or MFT, is better but certainly there are certain things at play here when it comes to size. A lens that is both designed for FF with AF is going to be large. Make it a faster lens and it will only get larger. Me, a A7R + M adapter + M lens (FF no AF of course) seems to be within size that I'm willing to deal with... so its certainly got my curiosity. One thing is for sure, Olympus and Panasonic have demonstrated how well a smaller image circle can translate to nice small packages.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Have you got any Voigtlander lenses ? they seem to work better on the A7

3. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the next version of the Sony has faster AF then I can easily live with f4 lenses.
    I did a Lightroom search and 5.6% of 42,000 images with exif were shot at f2.8 or wider (and ~2% were between 2.1 and 2.8) so I can live with slightly slower lenses if the AF is fast.

4. Lucryster

Lucryster No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I did kinda the opposite, I used to use the nex7 and switched back to dslr with the d810. I do a lot of HDR, and sony's 3 shot max brackets was driving me nuts. Plus, even with the nex series being out for a couple years, there were still no really good lens for it, and using the adapter to use 3rd party lens like nikon and canon (with no auto focus, mind you) was just too much of a pia.