Sony A700, Thoughts?

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i'm trying to save up around a thousand dollars right now so i can sell my a100 and buy the new a700 (sony) , whats everyone's thoughts on this? worth the upgrade? what do you think of the camera compared to similar offerings on the market right now? just give me your thoughts!

I think it would be worth it. As compared to some of the other cameras sure it might not be up to par with no live view but still are you willing to give up your lenses too

no. thats the thing. Sure, liveview would be nice, but then i'd be buying into an whole other brand and that means not only selling all my lenses, but a lot of my accessories as well

I wasn't saying that live view was anything great personally i would stick with sony for the same reason i went with it in the beginning. I was just saying some of the other stuff my not be completely up to par but my suggestion is to go with the sony as it has been

I think compared to its competition in its range it is the superior camera. The only thing the canon 40d has over the a700 is live view and higer fps. If fps arent too important to you I would get the a700. Once you figure that out I would consider the other problems with the Sony brand like how expensive the lenses are for it.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with Live view is. I suppose it'd be easier to check white balance and such, but when it comes time to take the actual picture I don't see myself using live-view over the view finder....it's just be too hard to steady the camera.

I say go for the A-700...then tell me if it's worth it before I spend the money on it too!

;)

i just found out today that sony picked up the minolta line. (I know! where have I been?) So im in the maket for a new slr, and was going 2 buy the nikon d80, untill I found this out. now I wonder whats the diff between the 2 cause I have a ton of minolta lenses! i went 2 the camera shop and looked at them both. The features that stood out the most with the sony was the built in image stb, and the eye piece auto focus. I have lenses for both cameras. so if you were me which would u choose?

Go for the A700, no question. The Canon 40D may be faster to 6.5 frames per second but only untill the buffer is filled. The A700 shoots at 5 frames per second until the card runs out of memory. The A700 viewfinder is brighter and the LCD screen has more resolution than the others. The Sony A700 has the same resolution at the high ISO of 1600 as the Nikon D200 has at the low ISO of 100. The in-camera stabilization has been improved on the A700 to match cameras with lens stabilization.
The Sony camera handles the Minolta and Sony lenses but also can use Zeiss lenses whose only competition are the Leica lenses for top quality.

skieur

i just found out today that sony picked up the minolta line. (I know! where have I been?) So im in the maket for a new slr, and was going 2 buy the nikon d80, untill I found this out. now I wonder whats the diff between the 2 cause I have a ton of minolta lenses! i went 2 the camera shop and looked at them both. The features that stood out the most with the sony was the built in image stb, and the eye piece auto focus. I have lenses for both cameras. so if you were me which would u choose?
I love my A100. Make sure you have the autofocus minolta lenses if that's one of the factors in your decision to get the A100. The old manual focus lenses use a different mount (I tried my dad's lenses he bought for his Minolta in the early 70s).

Whatever you get you'll be happy with...but the A100 will be the cheaper of the two...both in initial cost as well as accessories.

Im drooling over one now. At first I was like meh ill get one when I can but all of the sudden everything has hit me from how I can afford it soon, pop photo just sent me the latest magazine that has a 5 page review on the a700 by a pro photographer who loved it. I keep hearing great things about it and nothing negetive. It also fixes everything I hate about the a100. Im desperate for one maybe sony will sponsor me hahaah (Ill just keep dreaming)

Most reactions

Back