Sony Alpha Battery Grip

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I figure we'll see a lot more accessories soon from Sony considering they have two new cameras coming out. Or else theyll forget about the Alpha and make everything for the high end ones and youll have to buy one of those lol.

i guess the alpha doesnt have the electronics or circuitry for there ever to be a battery grip option for it that will work fully, and also, the battery cover doesnt come off

It's possible that the battery cover doesn't need to come off as it would fit into a space on the grip; this is the case with other grips I've seen, so in theory I think you could make a battery grip for the Alpha.

oh, i didnt know that, the problem is stil though, that the alpha lacks the circuitry to use the shutter button through the battery connections, so you need wires comming out and going into the remote port and another going to the AC adapter port

forgive my stupidity. What is the main purpose of a battery grip?
1) to be able to use AA batteries? I don't need that
2) to use 2 sony batteries? I could use that but none of the available grips have that
3) to aid in a vertical shutter button?

I have found a nice one but it only accomodates one sony battery, just as the camera does? worth it? price is about 100 USD

forgive my stupidity. What is the main purpose of a battery grip?

No experience with the Sony Grip but every modern SLR I have owned has a verticle grip. I shoot a lot of photos in portrait and the grip helps with comfort. The more comfortable I am the better I shoot. I also prefer the added weight.

My Elan IIe vert. grip takes either the photobattery or AA's. A while back, the camera ran out of juice while I was out in the middle of nowhere. Photobatteries were impossible to find but AA's at the local gas station saved the day.

yea, it sucks that sony didnt make it compatable. i'll probably buy extra batteries though and just have them on hand

Ok Here is a very direct question.

I have 2 options for the battery grip...

1) 150US. only holds one sony photobattery. Looks comfortable, wires look hidden enough. connectcs through built in battery hole.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dicain-VG-1-Vert...ryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) 85US. Only holds 12AA batteries. less comfortable probably, extra wires.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Opteka-Battery-P...ryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I own enough batteries to run the AA portion. But I also own 2 sony photobatteries which cost a lot. is it even worth getting either? what should I do?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I guess whether or not it's worth buying one depends on two things:

1) Do you need to have a longer uninterrupted power supply? (as opposed to simply carrying more batteries and changing when necessary)?

2) Do you feel uncomfortable using the camera with your current lenses?

Personally I don't really feel the need for one now because my camera handles well enough with the lenses I currently use, and because I'm ok with simply carrying more batteries. Having said that, once I get my heavy 70-200mm I expect before long I will have to upgrade to a chunkier camera body with grip, but for now I don't need one.

if you really NEED this thing, i would say go with the first one , hands down. it looks like its built better, and looks like it actually goes with the camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back