Sony camera problem

Miladymimi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem with my camera. I have a sony A100. I was using it yesterday and as long as I used the program modes the shutter works normally, but if I put it on manual or shutter or apeture priority the sound of the shutter is really slow. I can hear it open and then there's a couple of seconds before it closes. It doesn't matter what shutter speed I set it on, it sounds the same. I even set it exactly like the auto mode called for and it's still slow. I use the manual setting regularly and it's never done this before. Any ideas?

If the shutter is staying open your photos will be over exposed and blurry. Are they?

What you hear is mostly the viewfinder mirror slap, not the shutter.

If you are in manual mode, changing the shutter speed, and the sound never changes cadence, I would say your camera is malfunctioning and in need of repair.

Unfortunately few people own Sony cameras in comparison to Nikon and Canon owners, but maybe a Sony a100 owner will chime in.

Thanks Keith,

Some of the pictures came out blurry, some didn't. It's really odd. But with all of them, something is slightly off. I've played with it again this morning and I've come to the same conslusion. I've got to find someplace to have it looked at. I was hoping I'd set something wrong, by mistake, but it doesn't look that way.

You could post comparison photos taken in the same situation. Photos on an auto mode that is giving you a long shutter, and then a manual photo which you've told the shutter to be open for 1/100s just for giggles. If you could post them with EXIF data intact, that would also help.

Maybe something to do with the mirror lock setting??

Ooops, now I'm embarrassed. Really embarrassed. The last I used my camera was to take pictures of the moon. I forgot I set it on delayed timer. Oh well, it's the first time I'd ever used the timer feature and I guess I thought it would cut off when I cut the camera off. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Next time I'll reverse my steps first, before I ask the questions. Sorry.

LOL, was your avatar really a pic of a gray fox that turned red from blushing ? I have a a100 and I've just started having the First Frame Black issue and I was afraid after your post that there was another potential problem to look forward to. I've had my a100 since Aug 2007 and have never had a problem until the black frame thing.

Don't feel bad. I couldn't understand what had gone wrong with my Alpha 100 - everything was underexposed, even with a flash. It was ages before I realized I'd left on the polarizing filter.

:er:And I almost ditched a lens because it was not focusing..................................only to find I set it to manual focus quite a while ago!!!

LOL, thanks all, you make me feel better. I have to confess to leaving a polarizing filter on a lens and wondering why my pictures came out too dark. I guess it proves we're all human, more or less.

Other than it not focusing quite as sharp as I'd like sometimes, I've had no problems with my sony. (knock on wood) and I've had it for many years. That's why it, suddenly not working right, threw me such a curve.

Most reactions

Back