Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone here have one of these?

I am considering buying one, and would like to hear opinions of it. Would be a pocket camera for when I am on vacation sightseeing, and don't want to deal with carrying a DSLR.

Last edited:
I've had the RX100-iv for years and have gone on many vacations. I love it. The 1" sensor provides really clear shots that I make slide shows for showing on my 75" 4K TV as well as monitors. It fits in my shirt or pants pocket and I don't have to schlep around a bunch of stuff. MY model only goes from 24-70mm. The vii goes to 200mm although the aperture is not as bright. There's also no ND filter in the vii which sometimes can be a problem shooting video in bright days unless you leave it in auto.

Anyway, I think it;s a great camera. Pricey as I;m sure you know but worth it. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Here are some stills from a trip out west.

Here's a slide show and made into a video slide show using Lightroom and Premiere Elements for Youtube and for my home TV and other display devices. Turn the sound up and set it to 4K (2160) if you have the bandwidth. Otherwise use a lower setting. One thing about TV, they're only 4K which is 3840x2160 or 8MB for each picture. So the 19MB stills of the RX100 allow cropping without loss of pixels. You can dump 11MB and still be left with 8MB. Of course, if you're printing, you do have the 19MB if you need it. The 4K and 2K videos are excellent from the camera as well. The below slide show doesn't have any video clips though.

Thanks Alan!

I have the RX100 iii and the iv. Got the iv for the higher frame rate which eats the battery fast. I've taken on vacation many years for photos, video and time-lapse.

Thanks Cheryl, that's two positive opinions so far!

Lately I have been checking out the Fujifilm X100V. It seems to be a very well built compact camera, albeit it's a tad larger than the RX100VII. The basic controls are on the outside of the camera, which would reduce the amount of menu diving. The one major drawback I can see is, it's fixed prime lens, and I wonder if this would be a problem for me on vacation. It will also be used as an everyday, carry everywhere camera, that would be less intimidating to use vs. my DSLR's.

I just got this camera and I'm glad to have met others that have it too. Could you guys tell me what strap and bag you might have?

I have found the best camera to take on my travels is the Panasonic Lumix TZ 200, I think it has a different name in the USA.

Lately I have been checking out the Fujifilm X100V. It seems to be a very well built compact camera, albeit it's a tad larger than the RX100VII. The basic controls are on the outside of the camera, which would reduce the amount of menu diving. The one major drawback I can see is, it's fixed prime lens, and I wonder if this would be a problem for me on vacation. It will also be used as an everyday, carry everywhere camera, that would be less intimidating to use vs. my DSLR's.
I have the Fuji X100F. It is excellent but I treated myself to the Sony RX 100VII about six months ago and it has virtually made the X100F redundant. A lack of a zoom lens was the issue and the Sony delivers that. The 1" sensor is remarkable and the only slight downsides I have noticed is that it can be slightly noisier than the Fuji in the shadows and if it bothers you, attaching filters needs a separate kit. I just hold one of my larger filters over the lens on the very rare occasions that I need one. It is small enough to fit into your pocket. Here's an example of its performance.

Catching the Last Rays.jpg

Last edited:
John What kind of filter do you use? How does it reduce noise in the shadows?

As an aside, the picture is a nice composition. It seems to be a couple of stops too dark looking at its histogram. Is that in the original or from the editing?

Alan, apologies. I seem to have misled you. The noise in the shadows is a characteristic of the sensor. Selective noise reduction in post sorts that out. The reference to filters is that the body design doesn't provide for the attachment of normal screw in filters probably due to its having an automatic built in slide across lens cap. If you use filters and frankly I rarely do, that might be a problem but there are third party manufactures that produce an attachment to the lens barrel which allow filters to be used in the normal way but they increase the bulk of what otherwise, is a very pocketable and high performance camera. The only filter that I ever have the very occasional need for is a CPL and I just hold it in front of the lens when I need it.

I started out wanting the Sony RX100VII for a pocketable camera for vacations, and everyday carry, then the Fuji X100V caught my fancy, but it has not been available except at overpriced places for a premium that I am not willing to pay.
I have had an iPhone 7+ for five years now, been reading about the great new cameras in phones lately. Decided that a new iPhone 14 pro could very well fill the role for a small camera that I wanted, while also updating my old phone at the same time. I bought one today, I shall see if this works out for me.

I started out wanting the Sony RX100VII for a pocketable camera for vacations, and everyday carry, then the Fuji X100V caught my fancy, but it has not been available except at overpriced places for a premium that I am not willing to pay.
I have had an iPhone 7+ for five years now, been reading about the great new cameras in phones lately. Decided that a new iPhone 14 pro could very well fill the role for a small camera that I wanted, while also updating my old phone at the same time. I bought one today, I shall see if this works out for me.
Let us know here. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back