Sony DSC-R1: 1st fixed-lens digicam with APS-size CMOS sensor!

Mumfandc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
camera-front-angled.jpg

sensorscompared.jpg

Well, there's a pic of it...the new 10 MP sensor on the right compared to most con/prosumer digi-cam sensors on the left.

While I love the 120 film format, I'm starting to think it's a lot more than I need, and I print no larger than 11x14...and the costs are adding up. I've been seriously thinking in the past few weeks of selling my Hasselblad medium format cam and switching to a DSLR.

So after doing an insane amount of research, I narrowed down to either a Canon 350D or 20D. And maybe the Nikon D70. What I really like are the results they deliver at high ISO levels and that's a BIG factor in my decision.

But then I came across this new Sony DSC-R1 and from what I've read it seems like a GREAT option for people who have used medium format, particularly the Hasselblad. Why? Well there's the Zeiss lenses which Sony equips on most of their digicams (and I'll admit I'm a sucker for Zeiss lenses, when I'm in the state of not owning one I feel sad). And from the pics, the R1's lens seems to reflect the Hassy CF lenses.

Then there's this new LCD viewfinder on the top of the camera, which mimics shooting with a Hassy waist-level finder:

camera-back-angled.jpg

So the new large sensor is supposed to deliver less noise at higher ISO settings. But the results seem to show ISO 800 as the most acceptable. ISO 1600 is not that good. Ironically, according to dpreview.com SONY is the manufacturer of the sensors used in the Canon DSLRs. You would think they might share the technology with this new R1?

As far as public response on the Sony R1, seems like some DSLR users are getting itchy that a fixed-lens camera is starting to rival the quality of their equipment. And many have also pointed out that the R1 has a electronic viewfinder which is not so great for action shots. Though back to medium format users, they are usually not in business for fast-action shots.

But according to several of the top digital camera review sites, they've equally concluded that many of the top DSLR cameras in the market would require VERY expensive lenses to equal the image quality of the Sony R1's fixed zoom lens.

Seems like there have been very few people at the moment who have been willing to drop $999 on this camera. I'm trying to find more sample images on the net, but have found very few. Anyone here own one yet?

Well one thing I read once when trying to decide on a SLR VS Fixed was that a camera with an LCD viewfinder uses part of the sensor pixels to display the image whiles others are used to capture. They went on to say that this causes a slight loss of quality. A SLR on the otherhand uses all available pixels on the sensor to expose the image, and nothing more. I am not sure if this is completely accurate or not, but I read it and thought I would share.

Also, the price seems steep, why not just go with an SLR which you can always expand later on to fit your needs.

Most reactions

Back