Sony Extension Tubes

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I purchased a Batis 85 1.8 to use with a Sony a6000 not realizing that on that camera the lens would have considerable "telephoto" effect. I don't mind that really as I've used it in situations where I really don't want to be that close to the subject but I've also wanted to take portraits much closer in such as in a room where I can't get that far away. I 'm wondering if coupling that lens with e-mount extension tubes will overcome the distance problem with portraits

Extension tubes won't affect the angle of view. That will always remain constant.

The only thing tubes will affect is focus distance, which will be much closer.

Well if the focus distance is reduced would that not allow me to be physically closer to the subject for the same portrait?

Yes, but that won't change your angle of view.And if you get too close, you'll start to distort your subject.

no. this wont work. use the 16-50mm.

The MFD of the Batis 85mm is 2.6ft ... I don't think you really want to get closer than that for a portrait.

Are you confusing an extension tube with a focal length reducing adapter ?

B & H calls them extension tubes. Maybe that is synonymous with "focal length reducing adapter"? Dunno. Anyway I thought it was a simple question. I provided the camera and the lens with my question. If that's not sufficient to answer it I guess I'm out of luck. At 2.6 feet all I would have is an eye or a nose. I am using the lens with an APS-C camera

You would have to get another lens with a wider field of view to do what you described in your first post ... like a Sony Zeiss FE 55mm

B & H calls them extension tubes. Maybe that is synonymous with "focal length reducing adapter"?.........

They're totally different animals.

Extension tubes have no glass in them and only affect the focus distance. Focal length reducers are similar to teleconverters, only working in the 'opposite' direction. They increase ('widen') a lens' field of view instead of decreasing ('narrowing') it. And like TCs, they have glass in them.

Ok this seems to be the answer. Thank you
You would have to get another lens with a wider field of view to do what you described in your first post ... like a Sony Zeiss FE 55mm

The answers provided so far are entirely correct. With the extension tube and the 85 mm lens you would probably be able to focus no farther than perhaps 2 feet and perhaps as close as 1 inch from the front of the lens. I have considerable experience with extension tubes, spanning decades. An
85 mm lens with a 12 mm or 20mm tube will only be able to focus at very close distances, distances that will be entirely unsuitable for any more than close-ups of the hand or eyes, etc.

Most reactions

Back