Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
*thump*

/face down on desk

From CNET:

For one, it has the same unfortunate issues with Sony's Creative Styles that all the company's dSLRs do: the default renders inaccurate colors, which isn't helped by the overly cool automatic white balance, and there's no natural Creative Style option. Not even in the bundled raw software. Also, though the 18-55 kit lens is pretty sharp, it has some of the worst distortion I've seen on a non-point-and-shoot camera of late. That includes barrel distortion at the 18mm end and pincushion at the 55mm end. As a result, not only are lines curved, but there's some fringing around the edges of the scene

Well now it can't be THAT bad, can it?

Oh my...

It's actually worse...That 16mm is a DOG.

Sony NEX-5 - sample images - Lenstip.com

And look at the lenses..they're HUGE on the bodies, even the pancake!

i know it hasn't really even been 24 hours, but based on the images and the sheer size of the lenses, i wouldn't even consider the NEX.

m4/3rds is way too ahead of the curve still:

IBIS in the oly's
Panasonic's super fast AF
Pany's 20mm and 7-14
Olympus's collapsible lenses
Amazing EVF's from both Ollympus and Panasonic
(arguably) the best JPEG rendering from pretty much any camera with the Pen's
Some of the sharpest 12MP files i've seen from any camera.

And the fact that two brands go off the same standard so you can swap lenses?!

The ONLY thing that the Samsung and Sony have over MFT is slightly bigger sensors with better high ISO (for the sony anyway), and higher res screens on the back. THAT'S IT.

These NEX's are going to be like Sony's SLR's: Cheap Imitation.

Based on the company itself I would even consider ... well anything Sony. Poor quality control, and a history of doing their best to screw their customers in every possible way just makes the entire company a skip on my list.

By the way I had a lens once which produced an image this bad: http://pliki.optyczne.pl/sony2010/sample/DSC00031.JPG and I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair. They repaired it free of charge under warranty and even offered free shipping to and from (which is abnormal for international orders). Sony on the other hand has a history of not honouring legitimate warranty claims.

I think you're being unfair to the Sony 16mm lens, calling it a DOG. The proper term is POS, not DOG. I looked at multiple images...that sample's lower right hand corner is seriously lagging. The overall image quality, the "look" of the 16mm has a certain Coke bottle quality that heroin addicts, raging alcoholics, and German shepherds might find comforting and familiar.

As for the styling of the camera and lenses, it looks like the Ford Edsel styling team has been resurrected from the dead,and merged with three of the four Freightliner truck designer team's members to come up with this boxy, clunky-looking monstrosity.

Two words come to mind: "train wreck".

Based on the company itself I would even consider ... well anything Sony. Poor quality control, and a history of doing their best to screw their customers in every possible way just makes the entire company a skip on my list.

By the way I had a lens once which produced an image this bad: http://pliki.optyczne.pl/sony2010/sample/DSC00031.JPG and I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair. They repaired it free of charge under warranty and even offered free shipping to and from (which is abnormal for international orders). Sony on the other hand has a history of not honouring legitimate warranty claims.
The only Sony product i've ever owned is a walkman, and it seemed to be ok, didn't use it a whole lot.

My only real experience with sony has been their cameras,and we've had a few exchanged at the store because of manufacturer defects. The bummer is that you pick up an A2/3/4/5 series camera, you can feel how cheap they are. The A7/8/9 cameras are not much better, about as solid as a D90, i'd have more confidence in any olympus or pentax body when the weather gets lousy or it gets dropped.
I think you're being unfair to the Sony 16mm lens, calling it a DOG. The proper term is POS, not DOG. I looked at multiple images...that sample's lower right hand corner is seriously lagging. The overall image quality, the "look" of the 16mm has a certain Coke bottle quality that heroin addicts, raging alcoholics, and German shepherds might find comforting and familiar.

As for the styling of the camera and lenses, it looks like the Ford Edsel styling team has been resurrected from the dead,and merged with three of the four Freightliner truck designer team's members to come up with this boxy, clunky-looking monstrosity.

Two words come to mind: "train wreck".
LOL that's the funniest thing i've read all morning!

Yeah, it pretty much is a train wreck.

Thing is they're point and shoots like the HX5, WX1, and HX1 are good cameras for point and shoots, the zeiss and (minolta) "G" lenses for their SLR's are great, and I really like the HX5, but their SLR bodies and this Edsel camera are just awful!

From what I hear from the Leica crowd is that there isn't enough relief for use with a M-mount lens and adapter. If so, its a show stopper for me just like the Samsung NX. OH well..

btw... I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Olympus E-PL or E-P2 to me an image stabilized platform with my adapted manual lenses. I just have to re-demo the VF-2 viewfinder again to put my reservations about it to rest... versus the excellent G1's viewfinder.

For those considering... here's an interesting find:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-P2-Interchangeable-14-42mm-Electronic/dp/B002UXRG8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273706045&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-P2 12.3 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens and Electronic View Finder: Electronics[/ame]

Before you go $899 for an E-P2 isn't such a big deal notion in your head, take note of the listing of what is included. They are listing the VF-2 viewfinder as part of the $899 deal... If you consider that to BH sells the E-P2 for $899 WITHOUT VF-2, you are essentially getting the VF-2 ($250 at BH) for free!

From what I hear from the Leica crowd is that there isn't enough relief for use with a M-mount lens and adapter. If so, its a show stopper for me just like the Samsung NX. OH well..

btw... I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Olympus E-PL or E-P2 to me an image stabilized platform with my adapted manual lenses. I just have to re-demo the VF-2 viewfinder again to put my reservations about it to rest... versus the excellent G1's viewfinder.

For those considering... here's an interesting find:

Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-P2 12.3 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens and Electronic View Finder: Electronics

Before you go $899 for an E-P2 isn't such a big deal notion in your head, take note of the listing of what is included. They are listing the VF-2 viewfinder as part of the $899 deal... If you consider that to BH sells the E-P2 for $899 WITHOUT VF-2, you are essentially getting the VF-2 ($250 at BH) for free!
Don't get the E-PL1, it will drive you nuts. The Jpeg engine is AMAZING, but there's not much else to it, there's not even a single dial.

The E-P2 IMO is the m4/3rds camera to get, especially at what amazon has it for. Not to mention, it would look sexysexy with the leica lenses on it

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The only Sony product i've ever owned is a walkman, and it seemed to be ok, didn't use it a whole lot.

For sure! Sony used to be an absolutely awesome company producing nothing but top quality stuff. I had a Sony Walkman, Discman, Walkman MD (Mini disc player), and the very early Sony street style headphones were also fantastic quality for the price.

Man so much has changed since then. My main experience with the company is reading how they are screwing people in the news, hell even the US airforce is upset (PS3 other OS - Google Search), and having to spend 3 hours trying to remove their ****ty copy protection disaster software from my computer. Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably because Sony is trying to be a mega corporation in everything electrical. Funny that they resorted to making SD cards only a few months ago.

For sure! Sony used to be an absolutely awesome company producing nothing but top quality stuff. I had a Sony Walkman, Discman, Walkman MD (Mini disc player), and the very early Sony street style headphones were also fantastic quality for the price.

Man so much has changed since then. My main experience with the company is reading how they are screwing people in the news, hell even the US airforce is upset (PS3 other OS - Google Search), and having to spend 3 hours trying to remove their ****ty copy protection disaster software from my computer. Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geez Louise, 3 hours? might as well reformat!

I don't have much experience with sony outside my one walkman and their cameras, but i really hope the cameras don't reflect their company.

"We dont' know how to make lenses, so we'll buy out Konica minolta because they have lens manufacturing plants and we'll have zeiss cover the rest."

"We don't know what market we're going into, so we're going to flood it with (at one point) 9 models, many of which are the same thing as each other just with sensor differences!"

"Well we gotta be the guerrilla company and roll out cheaply built bodies so we can flood the market with more options to confuse the consumer and look more established than the big 2!"

"why don't we have the pro market? our 24MP camera is only $2000! and we have Zeiss! and IBIS!!"

I dunno, based on what we've had in thestore, my order of preference would be

1. Nikon
2. Canon
3. Pentax
4. Olympus
5. Sony

Sony's 16mm lens for the NEX cameras is such a piece of crap that today, May 18, the company issued a world-wide press release stating that ALL samples of the 16mm lens are "pre-production" and do not reflect the final image quality the design is capable of.

All NEX 16mm F2.8 lenses pre-production, says Sony: Digital Photography Review

As you can read at the link, the 16mm lens produced pictures that were so bad, people all over the internet were 'dissing' the lens's crappy performance, and so Sony had to take action and tell the world that the lenses they sent out were "pre-production" models. (nyuk,nyuk,nyuk, cough *bull$s5i+* cough).

But they did not say if the production model will yield a better result. It could be worst.

Most reactions

Back