Soon a certain function on your camera will be obselete.

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seriously... soon it seems the Tungesten White Balance mode may be ancient history:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070425/sc_nm/lightbulbs_env_dc

It seems Canada, along with Australia and California are going to ban Tunsgten style bulbs in favor of the new compact florescent.

So, are we going to see an increase in various white balances for various color spectrums of florescent bulbs?

Oh and how many of us are going to save like 40 bulbs in a basement somewhere just because they'll be banned and we can show the kiddies how we used to do it, raise your hand? *raises hand*

i do the whitebalance after the shot.. always ;)

Wow, I really though this thread was going to have something new for camera bodies. not removing something old in terms of lighting.

Here I'll make this thread have a little bit of technical ADVANCEMENT. The EOS 1D Mk II can shoot 10fps. I know 99.9% of people on this site know that, but it still blows my mind, and I'd rather read about that than tungsten lights.

Wow, I really though this thread was going to have something new for camera bodies. not removing something old in terms of lighting.

Here I'll make this thread have a little bit of technical ADVANCEMENT. The EOS 1D Mk II can shoot 10fps. I know 99.9% of people on this site know that, but it still blows my mind, and I'd rather read about that than tungsten lights.

lol-...andI do not need those 10fps ;)

waiting for the 1Ds mark something ;)

Well to fix some technical difficulties here...

the 1D Mark II can only shoot 8.5fps... the new 1D Mark III can do 10fps

the 1V HS wasnt the first camera to shoot 10fps either actually... Canons 1nRS with its pellicle mirror shoots 10fps with barely a whisper... no mirror slap going on...

I ran my 1nRS through a 24exp roll one day to see how it goes... 2.4 seconds later I couldnt believe my eyes...

But I digress... I understand the reasoning behind the new style bulbs... I have a bunch in my computer room currently... they run about 14watts each and are brighter than a 100watt tungston... so effectively you can run 6 of the new lights at the same watts per hour as one of the old...

:idea: Does this mean that the idea bulbs in cartoons will be forced to change?

All because tungsten lights are being abolished doesn't mean that the color they produce will no longer be used. The halogen lights I got for my light tent are tungsten color (slightly whiter, but when I use the tungsten white balance I just have to adjust it 3 notches in color temperture in post-process).

at least california is doing something....unlike the rest of the US...

(goes back to hiding in tree fort made from locally grown renewable bamboo timber and powered by trash located in downtown berkeley)

Your right. The entire country should... but we're gonna bicker about this war for a few more months.

As California continues to act like its own country.

seriously, if Cali doesnt want to play by the rules, I dont want my tax money funding their crap, especially the schools where the kids learn to grow up as hippies.

Not to get on a political rant, but really the government needs to pull funding and start treating cali like its a seperate country, you cant have it both, funding or freedom to do stupid crap.

but hey, if they want to daylight balance the bulbs I'll be all for the ban. It would be a lot easier to make auto white balance if it only had to have a slight variation from sunny to cloudy.

seriously, if Cali doesnt want to play by the rules, I dont want my tax money funding their crap, especially the schools where the kids learn to grow up as hippies.

Not to get on a political rant, but really the government needs to pull funding and start treating cali like its a seperate country, you cant have it both, funding or freedom to do stupid crap.

but hey, if they want to daylight balance the bulbs I'll be all for the ban. It would be a lot easier to make auto white balance if it only had to have a slight variation from sunny to cloudy.

Hey, if the rest of the Union wants to kick out California .... you won't hear any moans from the West Coast ... we'll just take our fifth largest economy in the world (ahead of France) and go back to the Bear Flag. And we're keeping the First Marine Division at Camp Pendelton ... they're ours too ... lol

Gary

Hey, if the rest of the Union wants to kick out California .... you won't hear any moans from the West Coast ... we'll just take our fifth largest economy in the world (ahead of France) and go back to the Bear Flag. And we're keeping the First Marine Division at Camp Pendelton ... they're ours too ... lol

Gary

lol, cali's economy is on the verge of bankrupcy. if the feds hadn't bailed you out not to long ago you'd already be done.

EDIT: not to mention, without us you all would soon be walking, because without direct access to oil, Cali's leaders wont want to pollute and so bye bye gasoline. Have to ride a bike until they get hydrogen cars rolling.

Most reactions

Back