Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the first time in probably close to a year, I got to the "other" bricks & mortar camera store in Victoria. It's not my regular store, mostly because it's way downtown and surrounded by almost no parking at all but it was always a good source for pretty much everything you need. I'm guessing they must have been undergone a management change because other than a couple of Manfrotto tripods, and the usual assortment of lenses & bodies, almost all of the accessories, which used to cover a wide range of brands, have been replaced by the full line of "Promaster"; everything from lights to softboxes, clamps, filters, brackets... Aside from the fact that I suspect I've spend my last dollar there, the big issue I have is that this is [at best] low-grade mediocre MiC stuff being sold at brand-name prices! Oh... and they now carry a full line of selfie-sticks too. Excuse me while I go cry quietly in my beer! :(

Thought this was going to be a thread about our recent elections. Sorry about your camera store. I just bought a new body about 3 weeks ago (Fuji X-T2) and I bought it from our local brick and motar store for exactly this reason.

Joe

Thought this was going to be a thread about our recent elections. Sorry about your camera store. I just bought a new body about 3 weeks ago (Fuji X-T2) and I bought it from our local brick and motar store for exactly this reason.

Joe
I purchase all my stuff from 'my' brick & mortar store even though it's 40 minutes away. Samy's is closer, but I like the service and the people at OC Camera.

The closest "real" camera store to me is Monty's in Whittier. Decades ago, they were pretty complete with full lines of Nikon, Pentax, Canon cameras and lenses, chemicals and papers ... the whole enchilada. I went in last week and I felt as if I walked into an autopsy. Everything seemed just piled up ... the piles were held together with dust. The wasn't a digital camera in the whole place, the better film cameras were not for sale, they were part of a collection. I bought some D-76 and Fixer and asked how old they were, "About Two Years" was the reply. I was the sole person in the store, I took my time looking under all the dust and through all the piles. Nobody came in during that time. I asked the clerk, an older guy, dressed sadly used clothing, if he was Monty. He said "No, I'm son of Monty." At the cash register I spotted a few drawers filled with those little print bags. "Is that what keeps the doors open?" I asked. "That and custom printing and retouching", said Son of Monty.

For the first time in probably close to a year, I got to the "other" bricks & mortar camera store in Victoria. It's not my regular store, mostly because it's way downtown and surrounded by almost no parking at all but it was always a good source for pretty much everything you need. I'm guessing they must have been undergone a management change because other than a couple of Manfrotto tripods, and the usual assortment of lenses & bodies, almost all of the accessories, which used to cover a wide range of brands, have been replaced by the full line of "Promaster"; everything from lights to softboxes, clamps, filters, brackets... Aside from the fact that I suspect I've spend my last dollar there, the big issue I have is that this is [at best] low-grade mediocre MiC stuff being sold at brand-name prices! Oh... and they now carry a full line of selfie-sticks too. Excuse me while I go cry quietly in my beer! :(

as the world economy continues to slow (for 1st world) these sorts of stores will be gone quickly. Problem is the net result is one less local store.

Camera stores? Gosh. We used to have the worst camera stores in Bonn until Michael at Foto Brell decided that his pricing model kept people out of the shop. It was: RSP plus 20 Euros. Stupid.

Now he is more successful. He charges internet average plus 20 Euros and sells some not too cheap acessoires to add some profit and he has a great feeling what you might like and has it in his drawer when you come in. No waiting. Walk in. Decide. Have some really knowledgable people there to help. Pay. Go.

If Michael is not there I drive to Cologne. They have a lot of great stores there. My favourite is Lambertin Pro Store at Wallraffplatz. They serve the Photo Agencies. At times they have 30 of the last before current one digit Nikons in the window. You want some exotic 2000 Euro prime? They probably have 3 of them plus 5 used ones....

I didn't know they made selfie sticks for a D5?

There used to be a wide range of camera stores in my area. Now there's only 2 but in the expensive part of town.

I don't think I've ever seen another independent retail store go completely to one brand; there were a couple of Manfrotto tripods, and of course a [barely] passable selection of bodies & lenses, but aside from that, almost everything was "Promaster". Lights, modifiers, batteries, filters... knock-off super clamps and magic arms.. everything was this one brand. They must have one hell of a mark-up on that stuff!

I've been wanting to open up a little coffee-tea-beer-wine bar. I might make Son-of-Monty an offer. I think he owns the store.
Yeahbut... won't you just drink all your stock and be out of business by the end of the week? :confused-55:

I worked the Edmonton Photographic Trade Show (like I do every year) a couple weeks ago.

Promaster always has a display set up and yeah, it just looks like a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, without the benefit of an attractive price.

I worked the Edmonton Photographic Trade Show (like I do every year) a couple weeks ago.

Promaster always has a display set up and yeah, it just looks like a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, without the benefit of an attractive price.
If I'm going to buy something like that, I'll get it on flea-bay at 1/4 of the price!

I've been wanting to open up a little coffee-tea-beer-wine bar. I might make Son-of-Monty an offer. I think he owns the store.

The dust and cameras for decoration left in place?

I had the opposite experience. Last year Wolf Camera was an empty building, with processing being about it. When I commented on it the manager told me to not forget him, because he was trying desperately to get Corporate to give him inventory. Fast forward I dropped by last week , what a difference. The shelves were starting to fill up with a wide assortment cameras, lenses, accessories and lighting from low end to high. one corner of the large showroom had been blocked off for classes and demonstrations. Talked to the same manager who was like a kid in a toy store as he talked about what they had achieved and what was to come. Apparently it's been successful as his only problem so far is getting the shelves restocked fast enough. Thier prices are a little higher than the cut rate online sights, but to me it's worth a few bucks more to be able to hold something in my hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back