soot

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
soot.jpg

background needs to be cleaned up. Too much halo around the face that doesn't seem natural.
portrait in itself is OK, but with this greyish background it doesn't fit that much, directly in a work environement or a darker background that suggest being in a really dark place would have been way better IMO.

I think it would work with a darker background and tone the halo down. Is this a HDR?

Have to agree. This is one of the very few (the first perhaps?) images I've seen that would actually work well against a dark, brick wall. The face is great.

I'd like to see just a bit more detail in the hair. If there is anything that could be burned down, it would be the neck area, to make the face pop a bit more. The face is fairly bright and appears well-lighted, and that's why I say I would like to see more light on the hair; the light looks as if the hair would also show up pretty well and not go so dark. Same with the shirt; the two combined being dark make this look like fairly heavy post-processing vignetting added after the fact, which sort of hurts the impact of this gritty, honest day's work, "real" type of portrait.

As for the graduated background looking like a halo...I'm from the old school of doing things, so that looks like a flash fired onto paper to me, and it's one of the ways I was taught to light backgrounds, to get a 100% natural "real" gradient background rendering, but I understand how some people in today's word would think of that as some kind of artifice.

Since the photo was posted without a single word, it's tough to do anything except offer honest commentary on it.

background needs to be cleaned up. Too much halo around the face that doesn't seem natural.
portrait in itself is OK, but with this greyish background it doesn't fit that much, directly in a work environement or a darker background that suggest being in a really dark place would have been way better IMO.
I think it would work with a darker background and tone the halo down. Is this a HDR?

Have to agree. This is one of the very few (the first perhaps?) images I've seen that would actually work well against a dark, brick wall. The face is great.

no it's not HDR

I agree that it would look better with darker bg but it just didn't come trough my mind when I did the photo :(

Also, what halo... do you mean brightened center of the bg or he's got halo from pp on his face?

I'd like to see just a bit more detail in the hair. If there is anything that could be burned down, it would be the neck area, to make the face pop a bit more. The face is fairly bright and appears well-lighted, and that's why I say I would like to see more light on the hair; the light looks as if the hair would also show up pretty well and not go so dark. Same with the shirt; the two combined being dark make this look like fairly heavy post-processing vignetting added after the fact, which sort of hurts the impact of this gritty, honest day's work, "real" type of portrait.

As for the graduated background looking like a halo...I'm from the old school of doing things, so that looks like a flash fired onto paper to me, and it's one of the ways I was taught to light backgrounds, to get a 100% natural "real" gradient background rendering, but I understand how some people in today's word would think of that as some kind of artifice.

Since the photo was posted without a single word, it's tough to do anything except offer honest commentary on it.

Thank you for your comment!

It's not flash and it's not heavy vignette , it was just a wall but the roof was giving some shade which I didn't notice because the shoot was very quickly done

chim chim charoo!
"Codeword in the gay community for a back alley blowjob on a drunk straight guy.
I'm taking this guy out back for a little of the ole chim chim charoo."

hm... welll.. I learned something new...

ty I guess!

:)

chim chim charoo!
"Codeword in the gay community for a back alley blowjob on a drunk straight guy.

ty I guess!

what?
um..I guess I learned something new too....
wherever you live, its got some weird language...
you have officially ruined my memory of a great childhood movie.
I was thinking....

chim chim charoo!

ty I guess!

what?
I was thinking....

oh no!

you can't get away with that!

look at this Urban dictionary chim chim charoo

LOL

no it's not HDR

I agree that it would look better with darker bg but it just didn't come trough my mind when I did the photo :(

Also, what halo... do you mean brightened center of the bg or he's got halo from pp on his face?

I've done this quite a few times and seen it after I get it on the computer and wish I had done the background different. I do like the portrait though. It looks like he just got done with a long days work and is ready to go home.

Yes, I was talking about the bright center directly behind his head. I guess the light was just more focused in one spot behind him that I'm used to seeing. I was taught the same as Derrel with the gradient on the background I just remembered it as a circle that the light fell off from like in my avatar pic.

chim chim charoo!

ty I guess!

what?
I was thinking....

oh no!

LOL

my reference was far more relevant!
soot? chimney sweep?
stupid fake dictionary...

chim chim charoo!

ty I guess!

what?
I was thinking....

oh no!

LOL

my reference was far more relevant!
soot? chimney sweep?
stupid fake dictionary...

well

you know I have to google everything :)

it's not my fault!

but I get a big laugh out of this so everything is fine :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back