Southern Louisiana - Post Rita

Racerx336

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took a trip down to Lake Charles to visit family over the weekend and we went down to the gulf to see how the re-building was going. On this particular spot there used to be a gas station. In place of it now was a house that was lifted off its foundation by Rita and then dropped in the parking lot, still mostly whole. The other thing that I noticed was the names on houses, people would have to go fine where their house landed and board it up and spray paint their name on it to keep it from being demolished.

Oh well, here are some pics, critique appreciated.

09_9.jpg

11_11.jpg

12_12.jpg

17_17.jpg

10_10.jpg

18_18.jpg

19_19.jpg

Very nice series. The destruction is still hard to grasp, and very evident. I like the first and last images, very powerful.

They could a little more contrast and in some cases, a bit of darkening would help. Still, good imagery of the area. :thumbup:

Interesting how discarded (or lost, damaged) toys can speak such an elaborate language. Of all these, the last speaks to me most, though if it had been mine, I'd have darkened it a bit and pushed the contrasts.
Upon seeing this (and living in Germany) I don't get over the style of houses there, so lightly built... here everything's stone walls and a second klinker lining and walls more than 12 inches deep.

Great series, very emptional. I really like #1, the placement is great. #5 is a great shot aswell! I think that #5-7 are very emotional shots, but the compostion on #6 isn't a great as inthe other two. I think you should boost up the contrast to make these pop. Nice work.

LaFoto said:
Interesting how discarded (or lost, damaged) toys can speak such an elaborate language. Of all these, the last speaks to me most, though if it had been mine, I'd have darkened it a bit and pushed the contrasts.

My thoughts exactly on both fronts. Very emotional pic and great use of the subject. though I would adjust the contract levels a bit too.

I put these up un-edited. I will darken them a bit and edit a few things when I get home and throw up the revised editions.

Thanks guys. Re-enforced what I was thinking exactly. haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back