ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From http://www.spaceweather.com:

"AURORA ALERT! A coronal mass ejection (CME) is racing toward Earth and it could spark a severe geomagnetic storm when it arrives--perhaps tonight (Sept. 14th and 15th). People everywhere should be alert for auroras.... If this incoming CME does hit Earth's magnetic field as hard as forecasters expect, auroras could appear in places where they are seldom seen: California, Arizona, Texas and elsewhere. Stay tuned for updates."

Does this sound crazy? Yup, probably so. However, about 2 years ago, there was a burst of solar activity and auroras were seen in Houston! Look at the first pic on this page:
http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweathe...ct03_page3.html

Sounds like the southwest US area. Too bad, I'd love to try to see it!

I would love it! We've had some clear weather lately, too. I'll look for local alerts. :thumbup:

I'll be up tonight... If anything happens y'all will see it! :mrgreen:
We need someone from every southern state keeping watch. :D

haha, I hope one hits! :) :thumbup:

mountainlander said:
From http://www.spaceweather.com:

"AURORA ALERT! A coronal mass ejection (CME) is racing toward Earth and it could spark a severe geomagnetic storm when it arrives--perhaps tonight (Sept. 14th and 15th). People everywhere should be alert for auroras.... If this incoming CME does hit Earth's magnetic field as hard as forecasters expect, auroras could appear in places where they are seldom seen: California, Arizona, Texas and elsewhere. Stay tuned for updates."

Does this sound crazy? Yup, probably so. However, about 2 years ago, there was a burst of solar activity and auroras were seen in Houston! Look at the first pic on this page:
http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweathe...ct03_page3.html

OMG!!! I'm getting the cameras ready... :)

Yeah, I guess we can't hog all the aurorae up here all the time. Might as well send some your way. *snicker*

From SPA Forum:- http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/index.php

"Solar Dispatch wrote:
11 September 2005

Solar Terrestrial Dispatch
www.spacew.com

MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY WARNING - 11-14 SEPTEMBER

A middle latitude auroral activity warning has been issued for the next several days. Intense solar flare activity continues. The associated high velocity coronal mass ejections are beginning to become more heavily directed toward the Earth. Several smaller impacts were observed over the last 24 to 48 hours from solar activity that occurred when sunspot complex 10808 was on the eastern limb of the Sun. But now, the region has rotated sufficiently far to produce stronger Earthward-directed impacts.

The latest impact was observed near 01:19 UTC on 11 September (9:19 pm EDT on 10 September). This disturbance has the potential to produce periods of minor to major auroral storm conditions during the next 12 to 24 hours. Combining this disturbance with several others that are anticipated during the next 48 hours may result in a more volatile mixture of space weather conditions, perhaps capable of producing significant auroral storm activity during the next week. Observers across the United States and Europe (even toward the lower latitudes of the central/southern states) may spot periods of activity during the next week.

Active sunspot Region 10808 remains exceptionally complex and volatile. It has produced two X-class flares within the last 12 hours (the largest being a class X2.1 event at 22:11 UTC (6:11 pm EDT) on 10 September. Additional strong X-class flares are expected in the coming days. With each passing day, the trajectory of the ejected mass from these events will impact the Earth more directly, resulting in greater opportunities for observers to spot auroral activity. "

And later:-

"A s t r o A l e r t

14 September 2005

www.spacew.com

NEW X-CLASS SOLAR FLARES EXTEND AURORA WARNING

Active sunspot region 10808 produced two new X-class solar x-ray flares
during the last 24 hours. The most energetic of these produced an
Earthward-directed coronal mass ejection that is expected to impact the Earth
late this afternoon or evening. The impact is expected to reignite auroral
storm conditions. If it arrives as-expected, the resulting intensification of
auroral activity may place North America in a good position for observing the
activity TONIGHT. The mid-latitude auroral activity warning has been extended
through to 16 September. The next 3 to 4 days will be critical, as this is
the time that Region 808 is "pointed" most directly toward the Earth. Coronal
mass ejections follow essentially straight trajectories to the Earth, unlike
the energetic protons that stream from strong solar events.

For spacecraft and their sensitivity to energetic protons (the radiation
environment), the most vulnerable period will be later this week when Region
808 begins to approach the western solar limb. At that time, the Earth should
be best "connected" to the magnetic field lines that emanate from Region 808
and gradually spiral outward toward the Earth in an archimedes-type spiral
pattern. Energetic protons from major solar flares often reach the Earth
fastest (and are associated with the highest energies and densities) when the
Earth is magnetically connected to the flaring region. This is because
enegetic protons are charged particles, and as such they prefer to follow the
magnetic lines of force outward from the Sun.

The updated warning statement is appended below.

MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY WARNING
Updated: 11:45 UTC on 14 September 2005
www.spacew.com "

:er: It should be visible over the next 4-5 days at least!

Sunspot 10808 that is causing the solar flares and prominences resulting in these aurora is still quite active and is now pointing towards Earth.

I sure hope so. It we get a break in the weather, I'm heading out to Hatcher Pass on Saturday.

Most reactions

Back