Soybean field

anandonaqui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0132.JPG

50mm, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 100, (obviously) cropped

As you may be able to tell, this was taken in Central Illinois (Jacksonville, to be more specific). Luckily this barn wasn't in the midst of a cornfield, otherwise the corn would have cut out half of the barn.

What I like least about the photo is the hazy background and uninspired sky. Any thoughts on how to make it slightly more interesting (short of superimposing a new sky)?

C&C greatly appreciated.

It's an interesting photo, although with the Pano crop, it is difficult to tell if that's the best crop for the image...

Nothing wrong with some haze and low clouds.......... It's a photograph of the world and it isn't always sunny with blue skies....:D

Usually, if you increase the blacks and add some contrast it really cuts down the haze, although too much and you blow the whites... Your horizon is also a bit tilted..

DSC_0132-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't necessarily looking for bright blue skies, maybe just more contrast/more depth, but that may not be possible.

As far as the cropping goes, where would be a good place to get information on desirable cropping for various photographic situations? If it helps, the original photo is below:

DSC_0132.jpg

When I get Photoshop, I'll fix the slanted horizon; iPhoto's straighten tool seems to blur the image considerably

Here's a quick 'n dirty edit.

anandonaqui_edited.jpg

- I applied a gradual neutral density filter to bring some detail on the top section of the frame
- I fixed the tilt of the horizon, then cropped
- I sharpened a bit

I suppose that you could've used a GND filter in the field, but of course it all depends on what you want to do with the image. In my edit, the sky gains importance (taking up two thirds of the frame while turning bland clouds into slightly menacing clouds). Like I said, it's all up to you :)

There are some guidelines for composition in art, design, and photography - and they all have to do with what is pleasing to the human eye... Things like the "Golden Mean/ratio/triangle", rule of thirds, leading lines, framing, balance....... and on and on........, and of course, the subject needs to be interesting..

These become the basis for cropping......... and there is plenty of information out there.......

In your photo, I may have panned slightly to the right to include more of that great tree to bring in some more interest............ It also appears that it is a bit overexposed and a correct exposure may have brought more interest in the sky.........

good feedback, its always interesting to see different takes on a photo

Most reactions

Back