SP or LP recording

digitalrightnow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just want to know if someone can explain the difference between SP and LP recording? I know that SP is 60 minutes and LP is 90 minutes? but what are the other major differences, and how should I decide which format to use? I am using minDV tapes, if this is a determining factor.

I always thoguht it was slow play and long play...I'm sure slow play is better quality....

...clarinetjwd is a recording major, I'm sure he knows! :p

SP is much better quality than LP. i never use LP, then again, being in the audio engineering field, as well as video production and photography, you would never sacrifice quality for anything. Sure, you get longer record times with LP but it's not worth it to me, also, LP has tendency to put more wear and tear on your recording heads over time. SP works by having the tape pass over the recording heads at a faster rate, thus decreasing the recording time since more tape is used. The faster the tape passes over the recording heads, the better the quality. Some recoording studios that have used, or still use, analog tape in recordings have decks that record so fast, it almost looks like the tapes are in slightly fast-forward mode, resulting in the best possible recordings. Yes, studios do still record using tape as opposed to the ever-popular digital. This holds true for both audio and video.

Most reactions

Back