Space Shuttle Launch

JoePal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm really new to photography, but I was wondering if anyone had some tips on getting the best picture when photographing something like a space shuttle launch. It's scheduled for this weekend at 4:30 AM. So it will be dark out, but obviously the exaust of the rockets will create powerful light. It's a unique combination and I'm not sure how to have my camera set. I'll only have a minute or two to get my pictures before it is out of sight, and I want to make sure I don't walk away with nothing. I'm using the Canon Rebel XS if that makes a difference for anyone's advice. Thanks.

Your camera's meter will have a bit of a difficult time with the exposure ... unless your lens can magnify the image to reduce the background.

I would suggest taking advantage of our Auto Exposure Bracketing.
I think +/- 2 stops should cover it.

You might want to shoot in manual so you can have complete control over the exposure. When the shuttle is taking off it will be very bright so you will most likely want a fast shutter speed like around 1/500 but that could of course change and will change. It's hard to say or prepare for something like that because it doesn't come up very often.

Most reactions

Back