Space Shuttle May 14, 2010

Kent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m planning a trip to Florida next week for the Space Shuttle launch on Friday May 14, 2010. The launch is schedule for around 2:30PM. I have research places to shoot from and looks like I will be about 8 miles away. This will be my first launch, anyone have any suggestion regarding setup? I taking my D90 camera and 200, 300 and 400MM lens.:lmao:

i see the space shuttle every time here in jacksonville ,fl
when i see it i wish i had those big fancy telephoto lens

I think you have to decide if you want close ups or those wide shots with the smoke trail and mushroom at ground level. 8 miles is not that far when you think about how high it goes. I think your biggest obstacle could be air quality. You want something to capture the boosters going their separate ways too.

I have been shooting the Empire State Building from 18 miles away with my 70-300mm IS USM lens since last year. I have this little perch about 100ft over the Hudson River that gives me a decent vantage point of NYC. Other than the haze presented in most days, I can actually get some detail of the top of the building(s). I am not a very experienced photographer by any stretch.

If you have experience with your long lenses, you will most likely get some decent shots. I would use either of the 2 longer lens you have and be prepared for this adventure to be over in a New York Minute. So be there early and be prepared. I am not sure, but focusing will be necessary the moment the shuttle is up. It moves very quickly.

Do you know the angle you are shooting relative to the sun? Is the sun going to be a factor? Do you have a panning tripod?

Good luck in your venture, it should be lots of fun. Please show us your images when you get back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back