Spam and cookies

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
We appear to be getting a lot more spam of late.
One reason could be that people are not clearing their cookies.
It might be useful to point out to members the benefits of clearing out their cookies and give instructions on how to do it for the various browsers.

Oooo, excellent suggestion! Although I must confess that when I clicked on the thread, I thought it would contain recipes for British cuisine.

LOL yes good suggestion.
I also had other thoughts as to the subject... it reminded me that I need to purchase my tickets for Spamalot

Here we go!

For Firefox:

At the top, click tools then clear private data. Be sure that cookies is checked off, and then press Clear private data now.

For Internet Explorer 7 (The most recent version):

Click tools, and select clear browsing history. Click clear cookies (although clear all is recommended) and then exit.

For Safari:

Click on Safari and then Preferences. Go to the bookmarks section located at the top, and click show cookies. Then click remove all.

Thanks Hertz and EB. Clearing out cookies is something i always think of doing but don't seem to get around to until there's a problem. Reminding people, and telling them how to do it, is just what procrastinators like me need.

Thanks Hertz and EB. Clearing out cookies is something i always think of doing but don't seem to get around to until there's a problem. Reminding people, and telling them how to do it, is just what procrastinators like me need.

And I thought I was gonna need to get out the whip...

I think they should be called Biscuits, cookies just doesn't sound right

just out of interest, how does clearing your cookies help prevent spam on this forum?

For newer versions of Safari, look under Security instead of Bookmarks for cookies(or biscuits).

i vote lp's new name, and will call them biscuits from now on. (or at least a week)

Yayyyyy MysteryScribe! Oreos are awesome. Especially the 'doublestuf' ones

I think what the point is... is that when you go to a site you don't know they often drop a cookie on you... and it ain't an oreo. that cookie from a sneaky spam site it most like an action cookie ie tracking cookie. Those will eventually clog up your cpu and slow down your computer as it tries to perform all those actions called for by all those non oreo cookies.

Not to mention pop up and other unsightly blemishes on your computer. Cleaning out the cookies is a good preventative maintenance. A malware buster program run now and then is also a good idea. Those usually don't bohter your cookies planted by ligit sources.

At least i think that is what he was getting at...

Most reactions

Back