Specular reflections

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Specular reflections are sometimes close to unavoidable.

But are some acceptable.
best bourbon chicken and rice.jpg

Am looking through photos for my book and am trying to decide which to use and which to delete.

Specular reflections.

In that context, what do you think of this?

Specularity is not always bad, and I think that the highlights on the meat are fine. What I don't especially like are the highlights on the plate rim at the bottom of the image. If you want to kill them entirely, just bring the lights in very close and add additional diffusion.

I've noticed most, if not all, of the photos are shot from directly above. Have you thought about different angles and settings to make the photos more unique? and I agree about the bottom of the plate. (and Now I'm hungry!!!)

I like the glossiness of the meat, it indicates that it is moist. I am not crazy about the colors on the plate itself and think a plain plate shows off the food better. Also a natural surface like stone or wood makes a nice textural contrast to the plate, which then contrasts to the food, like adding a mat to a framed artwork.
I think the garnish should sit along side the food to accentuate it, not on top of it to hide it.
I'd also pick off the two things (rice?) sitting on the meat at the lower left that look like maggots.
Overall I like the shot.

Specularity is not always bad, and I think that the highlights on the meat are fine. What I don't especially like are the highlights on the plate rim at the bottom of the image. If you want to kill them entirely, just bring the lights in very close and add additional diffusion.

your comments are always positive and helpful.

thanks,

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Note this inexpensive book is in it's 5th edition.
It has been recommended here on TPF 1000s of times.

Study the 1st 2/3 of the book, which deals with lighting things, rather than lighting people which is the last 1/3 of the book.
Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

I have the book and someone else just posted that I really need to do my homework on this.

Have been bettering my PS and LR skills which is good but would obviously be better if I got the photo better in the first place.

I am moving to another town in Portugal next week and will have a separate room for photography with a lot of natural light.

So I need to read up on using natural light too.

BTW - the photo above was taken a few months ago.

I have been going through my photos for a few days trying to decide which ones need to be redone.

I will take a couple of weeks off shooting the photos in order to get a better understanding of the basics.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I like the glossiness of the meat, it indicates that it is moist. I am not crazy about the colors on the plate itself and think a plain plate shows off the food better. Also a natural surface like stone or wood makes a nice textural contrast to the plate, which then contrasts to the food, like adding a mat to a framed artwork.
I think the garnish should sit along side the food to accentuate it, not on top of it to hide it.
I'd also pick off the two things (rice?) sitting on the meat at the lower left that look like maggots.
Overall I like the shot.

The maggot thing bothered me too but you are the first person to mention it. It's onion.

Thanks,

Michael

I've noticed most, if not all, of the photos are shot from directly above. Have you thought about different angles and settings to make the photos more unique? and I agree about the bottom of the plate. (and Now I'm hungry!!!)

Strange because out of maybe 40 photos only about 4-5 are looking straight down.

Maybe they are the ones causing me the biggest problem.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back