Speedlight/External Flash for Nikon D5300

LittleLovesPhotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to purchase my first speedlight/ external flash. I got burned when I bought a lens that would not autofocus with my camera body so before purchasing this time I want to make sure I won't have compatibility issues. I am willing to spend up to $300 but ideally would like to spend less since this is my first speedlight. I have been reading a lot about Yonguno brand and wanted to see if anyone has had success with one of their speedlights specifically on the Nikon D5300 body. If so I would greatly appreciate any information you have to share. Or if anyone has recommendations for a speedlight I would love your feedback. My main focus in photography is capturing moments in the lives of my two children but I have been diving into portraits for friends. Thanks for your help!

It is generally a good idea to get an OEM flash for your first speed light. But the SB700 is a little more than $300 on amazon and I am not sure about your feelings on buying used.

Yongnuo does make some good lights and I have experience with the YN560, YN468 and the TTL triggers. I am currently looking to add the YN565 to my kit once prices return to normal on Amazon.

The YN568 is pretty much your top option from Yongnuo and would offer TTL (auto flash) and work well with your 5300. It runs $180ish. The main attraction to it over the YN565 that I want is it has HSS (high speed sync). HSS is nice for when you wan to use fill flash out doors in bright light. The reason I am holding out for the lower YN565 is because it is cheaper and it has an external battery port which I would use a lot.

Recently Meike released the Meike 910 and its pretty much a clone of the Nikon SB-910. It looks like a solid choice at $150ish and many people had a good experience with the Meike 900. I have never touched either.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Thanks for your help! Any particular reason you recommend an OEM flash? I was looking at the SB-700 but was thinking since it was my first that it might be better to get third party and save money until I know how to use it well.

Ordinarily, I would recommend the Nikon SB-910 as it is the latest and greatest in the OEM category. However since you have a lower budget, I suggest the Meike 910.

From what I can tell, it is a clone of the Nikon SB-910 and for $300 you could probably buy two of them.

Speed lights are a part of your kit that you can keep around as long as you take care of it. So it is an investment that should pay off.

3rd party lights do seem to be pretty dependable but I doubt anyone is arguing they have better quality control or reliability than OEM flashes.

The TTL information is proprietary and all 3rd parties have to reverse engineer it. Not to say it's not good. But its not OEM. I don't think you'll have any issues with a 3rd party but unless you have a buddy around with one, any issues you may start chasing your tail thinking it's the photographer when really its the gear.

for your first flash I recommend one with Nikons TTL/CLS compatible (SB-700, Yn 568ex, meike 910). Not that you can't learn a manual flash but as a newbie you'll like the convenience of TTL compatibility. Then later on you can peruse being more creative with it.

It's just more a mental thing knowing that buying a Nikon OEM flash that everything will work together. My first flash was a SB-600, then a SB-700, then two SB-800s. I'm now looking at a Meike 910 for a background flash because it supposedly has the same GN as my 800s. But from all the reviews I've read you should be happy with any of those.

I am so thankful for all this advice! If I go third party would any recommend the meike 910 or the YN 568ex over the other?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back