Speedlight Question as my existing one wont work with my camera :-)

NickStevens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

Previously I was using an EOS 400D and a Sigma EF-530 DG Super, all was good and its a pretty nice flashgun.

I then upgraded my body to an EOS 50D, connected the flash up and its doing all kinds of weird things and refuses to play, so I did some research and found this:
Notice to customers using Sigma?s EO-ETTL II type flashguns | sigmaphoto.com

So I have contacted sigma and its going to cost £37.99 to have the firmware updated.

So, Im now wondering if I should get it updated or sell it on to somebody who doesn't have a 50D? (because apart from the compatibility issue, its in A1 condition.)

Ive been looking at some alternatives to a genuine Canon Speedlight (as I find them too expensive for what they are, unless somebody can convince me why they are worth the extra money?)

So here are the contenders:

Triopo TR-980 TTL Flash Speedlite TR980C for Canon EOS Camera 60D 600D 580EX II 0689466149012 | eBay - Triopo TR-980 TTL Flash Speedlite TR980C

Meike MK951 TTL ITTL LCD Universal Flash Speedlite for Canon EOS 5D Mark II 7D | eBay - Meike MK951

New YONGNUO Speedlite YN560 II flash For Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus DSLR Camera | eBay
- YONGNUO Speedlite YN560 II

TR-985 TTL FLASH SPEEDLITE CANON 580EX 430EX 580 EX I II III UK SHOE MOUNT | eBay - GLOXY TR-985 TTL

OR should I just bite the bullet and get a genuine Canon Speedlight, what does the Canon give me that the third party speedlights dont?

So what would you do?
Have the Sigma updated, Buy a third party speedlight or buy a genuine canon speedlight?

Thanks
Nick

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back