Speedlite 320EX + EOS 500D = Slave flash??

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by tingeliM, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tingeliM

tingeliM TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey everyone!

I got a Canon Speedlite 320EX flash for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to use it off-camera as a slave flash (having it go off when the pop-up flash goes off). Is it even possible, or have I missed some setting?
    I've read both the camera and the flash manuals (of course), but I've gotten nowhere. Basically when I read the flash manual, I get stuck on the first part: "1. Set the camera or Speedlite as the master unit." What exactly does this mean?

Surely I could buy some cheap triggers from ebay, but first I'd like to know if this can be done like this.
    And if it can't, which triggers would be the cheapest?

Thanks for anyone who has the time to advice the fool. =)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Milla,

No, the 500D (T1i) doesn't have 'master' capabilities. That is something Canon has only added to the newest models...600D, 60D, 7D.
    The other options would be to have a 'master' flash unit...the 580EX or the non-flash mater ST-E2.

Or yes, you could get a radio flash trigger set.

3. tingeliM

tingeliM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Crap! Oh well, thanks Mike for the info. =)
    Do you have any suggestions as to which trigger set to get (cheap, yet functional)?

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have a look at THIS or THIS.
    Keep in mind that these are manual only triggers. They just tell the flash when to fire. The flash will be in manual mode and the camera should be in manual mode as well. This will mean that you'll need to figure out the exposure for yourself. It's not that hard once you understand how to do it.

This differs from the Canon system. With Canon master & slave units, you have full E-TTL flash metering, just like you would with the flash on the camera. You would also have the ability to use HSS (high speed sync) etc.
    They are nice features, but most photographers still use the good old manual triggers and manual exposure.

THIS set claims to allow the use of wireless E-TTL etc. I haven't heard any reports on how well it works.

5. tingeliM

tingeliM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks again!
    I'm pretty familiar with the manual exposure mode and experimenting, so I think I'd get along with something like that...

6. tingeliM

tingeliM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thanks again, Mike, for the advice! I came back to say that I ordered the Cactus set and it works just fine. Now I'm starting the real 'training' with the flash and reflector.
    Here's some first test results: Life, Music & Photography: Lighting practice

:)