Speedlite 430EX II won't power up

Ira Bernstein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I turn on the flash, the first line of the display slowly blinks. With each blink, the unit vibrates for half a sec as if something is trying to start up. This happens with each blink of the display. Any ideas how to get the flash to power up? Thanks (+)

terry_g

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The batteries are good and installed correctly?
Its easy to get a battery in backwards.

Nevermore1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Are they fresh (or fully charged if rechargeable) batteries and are the battery contacts in their proper position/not bent with no signs of corrosion? If there's any corrosion use a q-tip dipped in white vinegar to clean them and once dry try again with fresh batteries.

OP
Ira Bernstein

Ira Bernstein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thank you for replying. I checked the alkaline batteries and they are at full strength. I double checked their positions in the unit. The battery contacts look clean and shiny (I remove the batteries when the unit is not in use) but I cleaned them anyway with vinegar. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you so much terry_g and Nevermore1 for responding

JBPhotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thank you for replying. I checked the alkaline batteries and they are at full strength. I double checked their positions in the unit. The battery contacts look clean and shiny (I remove the batteries when the unit is not in use) but I cleaned them anyway with vinegar. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you so much terry_g and Nevermore1 for responding

The eraser of a pencil is a good dry applicator to clean battery contacts. Vinegar is an acid so I personally would not use it on metal battery contacts, it may promote rust.

Most reactions

New Topics