Speedlite 430EX II won't power up

Ira Bernstein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I turn on the flash, the first line of the display slowly blinks. With each blink, the unit vibrates for half a sec as if something is trying to start up. This happens with each blink of the display. Any ideas how to get the flash to power up? Thanks (+)

The batteries are good and installed correctly?
Its easy to get a battery in backwards.

Are they fresh (or fully charged if rechargeable) batteries and are the battery contacts in their proper position/not bent with no signs of corrosion? If there's any corrosion use a q-tip dipped in white vinegar to clean them and once dry try again with fresh batteries.

Thank you for replying. I checked the alkaline batteries and they are at full strength. I double checked their positions in the unit. The battery contacts look clean and shiny (I remove the batteries when the unit is not in use) but I cleaned them anyway with vinegar. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you so much terry_g and Nevermore1 for responding

Thank you for replying. I checked the alkaline batteries and they are at full strength. I double checked their positions in the unit. The battery contacts look clean and shiny (I remove the batteries when the unit is not in use) but I cleaned them anyway with vinegar. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you so much terry_g and Nevermore1 for responding

The eraser of a pencil is a good dry applicator to clean battery contacts. Vinegar is an acid so I personally would not use it on metal battery contacts, it may promote rust.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back