Speedlite for Canon 50D

aesumner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a YN460 Speedlite and shot it all of maybe...30 times? It now only turns on and will not fire. No matter how hard or for how long I press the Pilot, it also will not fire. I cannot find how to fix it and am guessing I just need to upgrade...

Looking on Ebay, I found a Canon Speedlite 420EX used for $100 with a flash stand. Is this worth it? I really don't want to spend more than $150 and am actually not wanting to spend even that much... but I'm scared that if I purchase another cheap flash, I will be stuck in the same situation.

I want to use the flash mostly for outdoor shoots. I'd love to get a studio kit for outdoors but don't want to lug stuff around. This seems like an awesome deal if I were to get one:Amazon.com: Square Perfect SP3500 Complete Portrait Studio Kit With Flashes Softboxes Gels & Barn Door & More!: Electronics

Any suggestions?? Is the speedlite mentioned above pretty decent and is that a good deal?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried fresh batteries in that flash?

The 420EX is an older model. It should work well enough on the camera, but it's not a good choice if you want to use the flash off-camera, because it doesn't have manual power settings.

I wouldn't recommend that studio kit. At first glance, the price is too low for that much gear, which probably means that it's cheap quality stuff. Also, it says that the strobes are rated at 45 Watt seconds...which isn't very much power. And if you ever wanted to shoot outdoors, you often need lots of power out of a flash/strobe.

If you want to look at studio lights, I'd recommend a minimum of 150 Ws....and more would be better.

Most reactions

Back