Spinner

Sefro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my latest piece that I have taken. I adjusted the colors and edited myself out of the picture cause I couldn't get a good angle without myself reflecting off the spinner. What do you guys think about this?
Seth
Spinner.jpg

Please read the FAQ about posting size limits.

Did he break a rule? and if so can you please quote the rule? Or are you just saying that its a good idea to read?

I couldn't find anything about the size that he is using, and most modern screens easily support the size he has posted at.

Interesting shot and I really like it.

Did he break a rule? and if so can you please quote the rule?
I hate to be a nerd, but:
Q. Is there size limit on images I want to submit?
A. It is always preferable to keep your image at or under 150 kb. If you feel you must have a larger image to show certain detail, make a note of it in your subject, since a large number of members are still on dialup connections.
The filesize of the posted image is 398Kb.

..Now please excuse me as I go find my pocket protector..

I hate to be a nerd, but:The filesize of the posted image is 398Kb.

..Now please excuse me as I go find my pocket protector..

haha, no nerd. I know that is a rule and in fact that is the only thing I could find, but 80% of the pictures in the critique forum are over the 150kb preferable limit.

EDIT: ok so it is closer to 70%. 12 out of the 39 threads in this forum (1 had a red X) contained a picture posted by the thread creator that was over the 150kb size limit.

I couldn't find anything as far as physical size goes.

Hiya Seth, welcome to ThePhotoForum.

Sorry that your thread out here in Photo Critique has turned into a discussion on picture and file sizes ... yes, we do have this "rule" about sizes and a photo that is over 900 pixels wide is a tad too large for any good intenet presentation, but so be it for this very photo here.

(In general, make it a rule of thumb not to present photos that are any wider than 800 pixels, given they are horizontal style, or longer than 800 pixels, given they are upright, ok?)

Now as to the photo ... I find it a bit hard to recognise what it is. I guess it is part of an airplane and the reflected surroundings are an airfield?

Nice weather, good light. The sky is a lovely blue.
The reflection is sharp and your pp work (i.e. editing yourself out of the picture) is flawless, from what I can see.

But - this photo does not speak to me (now we come into the area where things become subjective, of course). It is divided in two almost equal parts, one is real scene (sky), one is the reflection in the spinner. Plus it is too abstract for me too know what I am looking at, yet not what I would call "an abstract".

Have you tried to take photos from different angles?

I did try taking it from different angles but this was the only one that I liked where I got a good reflection of the surroundings and minimizing my reflection on the spinner.
Seth

Hiya Seth, welcome to ThePhotoForum.

Sorry that your thread out here in Photo Critique has turned into a discussion on picture and file sizes ... yes, we do have this "rule" about sizes and a photo that is over 900 pixels wide is a tad too large for any good intenet presentation, but so be it for this very photo here.

(In general, make it a rule of thumb not to present photos that are any wider than 800 pixels, given they are horizontal style, or longer than 800 pixels, given they are upright, ok?)

Now as to the photo ... I find it a bit hard to recognise what it is. I guess it is part of an airplane and the reflected surroundings are an airfield?

Nice weather, good light. The sky is a lovely blue.
The reflection is sharp and your pp work (i.e. editing yourself out of the picture) is flawless, from what I can see.

But - this photo does not speak to me (now we come into the area where things become subjective, of course). It is divided in two almost equal parts, one is real scene (sky), one is the reflection in the spinner. Plus it is too abstract for me too know what I am looking at, yet not what I would call "an abstract".

Have you tried to take photos from different angles?

I dont mean to continue going off topic, but where is this rule listed? I coudln't find it so I fear I may have missed other rules of the forum.

Sefro, really cool picture. Interesting and as Lafoto said, flawless editing. I am interested in the shot settings and what you edited if you would like to share. Especially how you exposed the sky and propeller because both came out very well! Thanks for sharing.

1.gif
You are right, xfloggingkylex, there is no real RULE or REGULATION outlined anywhere with regards to physical lengths and widths of photos being shown, and the size guidelines are for pics that are submitted to the Challenge of the Month. Therefore I put "rule" into inverted commas. To say: not really a RULE, but ... you know, some unspoken, proved-right-by-experience rule of thumb that says: best downsize pics for internet presentation to a maximum of 800 pixels wide (horizontal style) or 800 pixels long (vertical style).

I think there are several changes that would make this shot better.
Would be happy to post a rework that was sent to OP if OP allows.

Lew
Sure go ahead and post it. let me see if I can dig up the settings. As far as the editing. I was able to shoot the photo that I was out of the picture as much as possible but what was left of my reflection I used the stamp tool and payed attention to the patterns in the dirty streaks that were near what I was. Then I tried to find a color/streak pattern as close to the color of the grass around me and played with it untill I saw something that I liked. This was all done in elements 4.
Seth

Made the wall (?) at right vertical so it doesn't distract, cut off excess sky, leaving enough to make the reflection make sense and moving the spinner into a commanding postion, made reflection more intense.

spinnerbmr8.jpg

Thanks LaFoto, I wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not :lol:

Traveler, I do like what you have done with that edit, but I like the colors in the original. Yours seem a little to harsh on my monitor (which could be my problem entirely) but I like the softer looking grass in the original. The crop on the sky has a big impact though.

Thanks LaFoto, I wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not :lol:

well yes, you are but it's not affecting your photography.

Traveler, I do like what you have done with that edit, but I like the colors in the original. Yours seem a little to harsh on my monitor (which could be my problem entirely) but I like the softer looking grass in the original. The crop on the sky has a big impact though.

I agree, the original grass is much better,- I didn't take the time - and I should have - to mask out the grass before making the changes.

The OP makes a point that he tried to get this from different angles before but couldn't.

I adjusted the colors and edited myself out of the picture cause I couldn't get a good angle without myself reflecting off the spinner.
After taking a picture I look at it to see if there is anything I would do differently if I could take it again and that I can do now with Post Processing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back