ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone done any split toning?

Know a site with good info on or examples of split toning?

Motcon did a small tutorial on split tonning on the site a couple months back, if interested it should be alittle farther back in the darkroom section.

Yeah, I found that handcolor.com site. It is a pretty good page. I read Will's article (excellent) in the "How To" section. I think of the technique that Will described as selective toning, but that may not be the right term. Selective toning is awesome too; check out this guy www.philborges.com

What I'm talking about is toning in one kind of toner, washing and then toning in the other toner. One toner hits the shadows, and the other gets the highlights, but it's across the entire image. Selective toning is using two or more toners, but using only one toner in a specific area. I guess Will was split toning the hair area.

I understand generally how to split tone and selective tone. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it. It seems like a technique that could vary widely from photographer to photographer, and I want to see what other folks are up to.[/b]

ksmattfish said:
I read Will's article (excellent) in the "How To" section. I think of the technique that Will described as selective toning, but that may not be the right term. [/b]

it's all the same, bro. you can't selective tone unless you can split tone. how can this be? well.....

selenium. it grabs the entire print starting with the shadows first. sepia grabs the highlights first. blue grabs the entire print. so does copper and brown. the key is to remember which does what first, the proceed. i didn't do selective toning, i merely 'protected' the my highlights from the selenium (b/c it will grab them) so i could tone them in sepia.

i LOVE sepia and blue splits....look for some from me soon; autumn is the best season for them.

good to see you, Matt.

Ahhh, the selective toning techniques I was describing uses frisket or rubber cement to actually prevent toning in some areas of the image.

The rubber cement is applied to the areas to be protected, the exposed areas are toned. Then the rubber cement is removed. New cement is applied to the toned areas, and the previously protected areas are toned with a different toner.

Once again, I may be splitting hairs with the terminology, but to me the look and results are very much different.

ST.sized.jpg

This is a photo I took of my son with his Stratocaster. It's an example of what I was taught was meant by "selective toning", although I am only doing half of what is being described above. I used a 1:1 ratio of rubber cement and thinner (Bestine, I think?) to mask the guitar, its highlights and the silver hardware, and the rest of it went into the sepia.

But that's only using one kind of toner with the sole aim of keeping the rest of the image pure. I would have to agree with Matt; there are different ways of saying the same thing, but in this case selective toning was only one step.

That's a great picture, Terri. It reminds me of my youth... :cry:

ksmattfish said:
Ahhh, the selective toning techniques I was describing uses frisket or rubber cement to actually prevent toning in some areas of the image.

The rubber cement is applied to the areas to be protected, the exposed areas are toned. Then the rubber cement is removed. New cement is applied to the toned areas, and the previously protected areas are toned with a different toner.

Once again, I may be splitting hairs with the terminology, but to me the look and results are very much different.

the only reason i masked the highlights is because selenium will eventually take over the entire print; a point at which is difficult to determine. the problem with that happening is that you can't bleach nor can you split tone a print that has been fully selenium toned. i could've selenium toned with no mask and pulled it at, say 10 seconds, then did the sepia split, but given time, temp, dilution, exhaustion variables, i masked.

am i making any sense? i've had the flu.....

motcon said:
i LOVE sepia and blue splits....look for some from me soon; autumn is the best season for them.

This is the info I'm looking for. What kinds of toners look good together, etc...

Ha! Cause he's your typical anti-social teenager, who barely sat still for this shot and pretty much sits in his room and plays the guitar or listens to Jimi Hendrix play the guitar....there just ain't much to say about him these days, outside of that, Carli! :wink: But he's mine. :love:

ok, enough thread hijacking....sorry. :blulsh2:

this book i own:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240804570/002-7643443-2730404?v=glance[/ame]

some great toning sections in it.

this book i have yet to buy, but shall very soon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0817454659/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-7643443-2730404?v=glance&s=books[/ame]

i recall replying to a toning topic on here some time ago. i'll do a search for it.

Most reactions

Back