Splitting Catalogs In LR

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have some folders that contain files that are completed, and rather doubtful that I will ever have a need for them again. To be on the safe side, I'd like to have them available just in case, but don't need or want them in my working catalog. What I want to do is archive the catalog and all the image files on a removable drive. I think In this case a USB stick because the largest folder is about 15 GB.

I think I can accomplish this by using the "Export Folder as a Catalog", but if I check export negative files, will it transfer the photos from their original location as well or do I still need copy the image files over?

Hi!! LR is designed to keep track of all your file locations and edits forever. There is no need to split the catalog. I use the "export catalog" option only to export small catalogs for outsourcing edits. Then you can re-sync the edits to your existing catalog. In your case, I would get removable drive, plug it in, and move the photos through LR to the new location. You can then remove the drive and the photos will not be on your HD or accessible unless you plug in that drive. The drive, when un-plugged will just show up as a tab.

You can see here my drives circles in red have all my images I don't want stored on my hd. They are out of sight/mind/storage, but easily accessible and organized, saving the edits too.
efb0d737-598d-4865-a061-53f42e39d600.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi!! LR is designed to keep track of all your file locations and edits forever

Thought of that already, but these are folders that will likely never be accessed again, so getting them out of the working catalog makes things a lot cleaner

I mean you can easily subfolder them into a folder titled: IMAGES I PROB DON"T NEED ANYMORE :p The bad thing is, what if you DO want them again? I suppose if you really don't want them its fine to put onto your drive but why would you keep a catalog then? Why not just keep an edited jpeg? An old catalog without being updated has a likelyhood of being corrupted over time so IMO its best to either keep in in the same LRCAT or just delete the RAW files, save the edited jpegs do a external drive and move on. No need to save a CAT for those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back