Sports Photagraphy as Living

I'd have to say that my first SLR was my best investment to date.
The camera doesn't have to be expensive to get good photos. It's the work you do that will make the photos worth viewing.

I allso think that you should start building a portfolio. Shoot practises, games, competitions etc. If you don't feel comortable choosing photos for your portfolio, have someone you trust help you narrow down the photos.

Getting a paying job as a photographer can take a while, but don't loose hope. Just keep moving forward, one step at the time.

Shoot sports for your school paper, shoot sports to create a portfolio, shoot sports and send your photos to the local press. You'll get there, just keep working, and be goal oriented in your work.

(If you shoot sports for your school paper, you can even use some of those shots or even pages for your portfolio.)

Best of luck.

You don't need "fast glass" to break into sports photography. I shoot a lot of high school sports that my sons play. Basketball, Track and Cross Country. I have a Nikon D70s and a 50mm f1.8 for indoors. Outdoors I use a 70-300 G f4.5? lens. I am always at the games and meets with my camera. The sports editor for the local newspaper knows me. I stared out by sending him links to the pics that I put online. He thought they were good and started using a few of them. It is to the point now that if he knows I will be at an event, he doesn't send a photographer, he counts on me for the photos. It takes practice, practice, practice. Take lots of pics and learn from your mistakes, then practice some more.

I think you missed the point of the OP. He stated he wanted to get into shooting sports for a "major newspaper" it is not about lucking into a few freelance gigs with yor local small paper. The Op wanted to know about making this the main source of their income that is a little different from what you do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back