Sports Photography

psuphoto09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like thoughts on color and composition. I edited the image in CS2 for levels and shadow/highlight. I also cropped the image. I have included the original and edited version. Advice on both would be great.
Thanks!!

EDITED:
mlongjump2-1.jpg

ORIGINAL (resized):
smmlj4-1.jpg

Taken with CANON 20D 70-200 f/2.8L
Shutter Speed: 1/400 second
F Number: F/11.0
Focal Length: 75 mm
ISO Speed: 100

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing at f/11?

You caught the subject very well, but I would selectively blur many of the distracting elements in the background using Photoshop....as in create the impression of a limited depth of field.

skieur

You caught the subject very well, but I would selectively blur many of the distracting elements in the background using Photoshop....as in create the impression of a limited depth of field.

skieur

What do you suggest is the best way to do that?

What do you suggest is the best way to do that?

Use the freehand selection tool to surround the person with a flashing dotted line, then go to invert...which makes the background the selection area. Choose gaussian blur and pick about 15 to 20 pixels as the feathering choice. The blur and the transition can be adjusted according to what you see and like.

Another option is software filters. Classic soft focus used selectively on the background works well too. Software filters are plug-ins that can be used in either Photoshop or PaintShop Pro.

skieur

Not bad at all, but you need a lot more "snap". Sharpen the crap out of it, and see how it looks.

The comp feels wrong to me. mabye a lower angle down on the jumpers level?I dont know for sure and cant put my finger on it.
Not a bad shot by any means and I am no expert just my .02

Your way from the underexposed original to your edition that shows up first was a good one already.
The narrow aperture that gives you so much DOF (depth of field) sure did not help, but done is done.
And - like I was saying - the edited version is a major improvement.
The moment captured, the frozen action, the flying sand, are all appealing elements.
So this one (the edit!) is none for the bin. The jumper may ask you for a print, he might never have seen himself like that!

For future photos open up your aperture, so you get shorter DOF and even faster times.

And yes, I share the other members' ideas on a slightly different POV (point of view) to give your future athletics shots some more ... punch.

Most reactions

Back